Program CY8C20636A using KitProg2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaCi_4827401
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I designed a board using CY8C20636A24LTXI, based on Trill Craft.

I also ordered a CY8KIT-147 to get a KitProg2, in order to be able to program my board. I assumed it would be possible since in this page there's a diagram that links PsoC1 devices to KitProg1, KitProg2 and KitProg3.

I already have an hex file for my project, so I just need to program the board using Psoc Programmer. Anyway, when I connect the KitProg2 to my PC i can't see the CY8C20 family in the target device list. Also, many of the programmer options are locked (pins number, programming mode and others).

So, i would like to ask:

- is it possible to use the KitProg2 to program my board? If so, how? Is there any tutorial?

- if it's not possible out of the box, can I modify (remove resistors as stated in some documents) or reprogram the KitProg2 to do it?

- Do i have any other way to use it for programming, like HSSP? If so, is there any tutorial?

- if I can in no way use it, what is the cheapest alternative? Miniprog3 is quite expensive for an amateur like me.

Documentation on this topics is very confusing, any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Kindly note that KitProg2 cannot be used to program CY8C20636A24LTXI. You can kindly refer to AN59389 - Host Sourced Serial Programming for CY8C20xx6A, CY8C20xx6AS, CY8C20xx6L and CY8C20xx7/S.

Since our PSoC1 family is mature, and very little support is available, I request you to kindly consider our newest PSoC4 and PSoC6 families for your new designs.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DaCi_4827401
Level 1
Level 1

BUMP

Noticed that someone actually used the HSSP code on an arduino to program PsoC1 devices:

GitHub - miracoli/arduino_hssp: PSoC® 1 Device Programming using an Arduino

GitHub - miracoli/psocdude

the second link is a modified version of AVRdude in order to send a hex file to the PsoC1 using the Arduino as programmer. Unfortunately, he seems to have chosen as base code the one for the CY8C21XXX, which uses a different procedure with respect to the one for CY8C20XX6A

I would gladly adapt the code but I need some guidance, does anybody know how to do it? 

0 Likes
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Kindly note that KitProg2 cannot be used to program CY8C20636A24LTXI. You can kindly refer to AN59389 - Host Sourced Serial Programming for CY8C20xx6A, CY8C20xx6AS, CY8C20xx6L and CY8C20xx7/S.

Since our PSoC1 family is mature, and very little support is available, I request you to kindly consider our newest PSoC4 and PSoC6 families for your new designs.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes

Thanks for the Feedback Sampath, but I know that document. I was asking if anyone had more specific experience with using HSSP with an Arduino / Teensy, or alternatively with a Psoc 5p. Those documents are the only reference taht can be found, but I hoped that Cypress would also give some more hands-on support to the community. I get that PsoC1 family is old, but it's still in production and you are still selling it, so it would be nice to give customers an easy way to use the MCUs.

A tutorial on using PsoC5p as external programmer for PsoC1 in example would be a nice way to allow us to use a legacy product without getting crazy. Just Saying.

Regards,Daniele

0 Likes