Printing to terminal

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
niprc_3742601
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello,

I am trying to connect a terminal (TerraTerm) to my PSoC 5LP kit(CY8CKIT-050) so I could print something out to a terminal.

With my PSoC4 kit, I would just use a UART SCB component for this purpose.  Then connect the board and my workstation with a USB cable.  It appears as a COM port that I use for TerraTerm setup.

I wonder if it works similar with the PS0C 5LP kit.  If so then it's not clear what pins I should use for TX and RX lines?  If the setup is not similar to the PSoC4 kit then what should it be?  All I want is to be able to print something to a terminal window.

Thank you for your help!

Nikolay

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

CY8CKIT-050 is quite flexible, there is a on board UART connector and we can easily jumper almost any pin of PSoC to UART's tx and rx. Meantime there is an evaluation board CY8CKIT-059, which is more affordable and its USB-Serial is connected to RX:P12[6] TX:P12[7].

So if you don't have some specific reason, assigning UART RX to P12[6] and TX to P12[7] will let you (us) use same pin assignment for both boards (and easy to remember 😉

Attached is my UART test sample created for CY8CKIT-059 and re-targeted the device for CY8CKIT-050,

although I have not tested with CY8CKIT-050, probably will work with CY8CKIT-050.

Note: you need to jumper P12[6] and P12[7] to on board UART rx ans tx,

depending on the cable used to connect to PC, you may need to swap rx and tx (cross or straight)

IMG_3432.JPG

I connected

P12[7] (TX for PSoC 5LP) to RX of the connector

P12[6] (RX for PSoC 5LP) to TX of the connector

UART_TEST_190222.JPG

moto

P.S. In my sample topic you can see CY8CKIT-050 picture with on board connector is at work.

Please note that you need USB-Serial adapter to connect the on board serial connector to PC.

Color Light-To-Frequency Converter TCS3200 (CY8CKIT-050) Sample Program

P.S.2. After writing above I noticed that although the CY8CKIT-050 is very flexible

out thoughts are often not. In case you are using USB-Serial converter like below

you don't have to go through the D-Sub connector mounted on the board.

You can connect the converter any UART Component supported pins,

but still I'd recommend you the P12_6, P12_7 pair to start with 😉

LC234X FTDI, Future Technology Devices International Ltd | 開発ボード、キット、プログラマ | DigiKey

UMFT201XB-01 FTDI, Future Technology Devices International Ltd | 開発ボード、キット、プログラマ | DigiKey

超小型USBシリアル変換モジュール: 半導体 秋月電子通商-電子部品・ネット通販

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ScottA_91
Employee
Employee
10 solutions authored 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Short answer, yes it is possible, but the pins depend on which kit you have.

Do you have the 050, 059 or something else?

0 Likes

Hello,

and thank you for the prompt response!  I have CY8CKIT-050 PSoC5 LP.

Thanks,

Nikolay

0 Likes

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-050-psoc-5lp-development-kit

So the easiest way would be to drop down a UDB uart, select some pins (let's say P3_1, P3_0) run jumper wires over the breadboard to the serial connections and hook a usb to serial device up to the board and your computer.  (I don't believe this board has the correct connections for kitprog based serial.)

Alternatively (and much harder) you can use the USBFS Serial example as a starting point to implement a USB to serial on the P5 and enumerate as a virtual com port.  That wouldn't require any jumper wires or a USB to serial device.

Thank you!  I'll try the easy way first then

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

CY8CKIT-050 is quite flexible, there is a on board UART connector and we can easily jumper almost any pin of PSoC to UART's tx and rx. Meantime there is an evaluation board CY8CKIT-059, which is more affordable and its USB-Serial is connected to RX:P12[6] TX:P12[7].

So if you don't have some specific reason, assigning UART RX to P12[6] and TX to P12[7] will let you (us) use same pin assignment for both boards (and easy to remember 😉

Attached is my UART test sample created for CY8CKIT-059 and re-targeted the device for CY8CKIT-050,

although I have not tested with CY8CKIT-050, probably will work with CY8CKIT-050.

Note: you need to jumper P12[6] and P12[7] to on board UART rx ans tx,

depending on the cable used to connect to PC, you may need to swap rx and tx (cross or straight)

IMG_3432.JPG

I connected

P12[7] (TX for PSoC 5LP) to RX of the connector

P12[6] (RX for PSoC 5LP) to TX of the connector

UART_TEST_190222.JPG

moto

P.S. In my sample topic you can see CY8CKIT-050 picture with on board connector is at work.

Please note that you need USB-Serial adapter to connect the on board serial connector to PC.

Color Light-To-Frequency Converter TCS3200 (CY8CKIT-050) Sample Program

P.S.2. After writing above I noticed that although the CY8CKIT-050 is very flexible

out thoughts are often not. In case you are using USB-Serial converter like below

you don't have to go through the D-Sub connector mounted on the board.

You can connect the converter any UART Component supported pins,

but still I'd recommend you the P12_6, P12_7 pair to start with 😉

LC234X FTDI, Future Technology Devices International Ltd | 開発ボード、キット、プログラマ | DigiKey

UMFT201XB-01 FTDI, Future Technology Devices International Ltd | 開発ボード、キット、プログラマ | DigiKey

超小型USBシリアル変換モジュール: 半導体 秋月電子通商-電子部品・ネット通販

Thank you very much!

Apparently my USB to RS232 cable doesn't work.  I will run the test when I get a new cable

Thank you!

0 Likes