PSoC5 Programming failure with MiniProg3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaFr_4790031
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am programming the MCU of a transceiver using MiniProg3. The transceiver is connected to a Multilane testboard (ML4027-DCO-FTDI Board). The procedure that I am following is:

1. FW programming of MCU (with MiniProg3)
  2. Run multiple automated tests on the transceiver

Everything was working properly with the MCU programming. However, after months of working properly the MCU programming started to fail most of the time.

For example. I run the MCU programming script a couple of times and it is successful. But suddenly I get the MCU programming failing:

pastedImage_1.png

If I keep trying it will continue to fail with the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

The only way to get the programming working again is to disconnect and reconnect the programmer USB cable from/to the PC. After the USB reconnection, the MCU programing is successful again, but it only works one or two times before starting the same failures again.

The test station PC OS is Windows 10.

The test board is working properly.

The settings from PSoC Programmer are:

Programmer: MiniProg3

Programming mode: Reset

Auto detection: OFF

Protocol: SWD

Voltage: 3.3V

Connector: 5p

Clock Speed: 3MHz

Device: CY8C5888FNI-LP214

Can anyone provide an insight on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

I would lower the Miniprog3 SWD speed to 1.6MHz (the default).

And, make sure the wires between Miniprog3 and the target are between 5cm-10cm in length.  Any longer than 10cm and the signal quality is poor.  5cm length works very well.

You might also try using the previous version of PSoC Programmer.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi mafr_4790031​,

We see the error generally because of timing issues. I do realize that it was functioning properly for months. Can you let me know the length of the connector between the MiniProg3 and the target device? Can you try changing the connector?

Is the device powered through MiniProg3? If so, can you power it externally and try connecting to the device?

Do you observe a yellow unlabelled LED at the center of the MiniProg3 device?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi,

The length of the connector is around 8 cm. The device is not powered through MiniProg3, it has an external power supply.

I have changed the connector and the problem remained. I do not think the problem is related to the connector because the programming is ok once I disconnect the USB from the PC and reconnect it again.

I will check the LED in the programmer.

Thanks,

Marcio

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

I would lower the Miniprog3 SWD speed to 1.6MHz (the default).

And, make sure the wires between Miniprog3 and the target are between 5cm-10cm in length.  Any longer than 10cm and the signal quality is poor.  5cm length works very well.

You might also try using the previous version of PSoC Programmer.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Hi,

I changed the speed to 1.6MHz and it still have problems. The connector length is shorter than 10 cm.

I did not try an old version. I will check it.

Thanks,

Marcio

0 Likes