PSoC Creator upgrade from 3.3 to 4.4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnkitaP
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi team,

I had couple of questions which I need help with urgently -

1. Does PSoC creator 4.4 and its corresponding compiler support PSoC4 and PSoC5 processors? We use the following PSoCs for development –
         CY8C4014LQI-422

CY8C5888LTI-LP097

CY8C5667LTI-LP041

2. We use CyBootloaderUtils to upgrade PSoC firmware for each PSoC. If we upgrade PSoC Creator from 3.3 to version 4.4, should we also upgrade the corresponding CyBootloaderUtils library or can we continue to use the CyBootloaderUtils library from v3.3?   

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @AnkitaP

It is recommended to use the latest version of CyBootloaderUtils as there have been some changes. 

Regarding the issue that you are facing, can you please share a snapshot of the error that you are observing? Also, can you please let us know if there is any difference in the memory consumption of the bootloader application when built using PSoC Creator 4.4. You can find it at the end of the build log. Please refer to this KBA and let me know if you face the same issue - Bootloader Host Error: “The Flash Row is not Valid for the Selected Array” - KBA221445

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Ankita,

Infineon would give you the best answer.  It is my understanding you should be able to use the CyBootloaderUtils library from v3.3.

Note:  Under most situations, you can have both 3.3 and 4.4 version of Creator on your system.  I do.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

Thanks Len! So do I need to post on another Infineon portal or something? 

Yes I do have both Creators on my system.

But when I create a Bootloader.hex file on PSoC Creator 4.4 (with updated components) and use a .cyacd file that was built on PSoC Creator 3.3 (with not updated components), I get a bootloading address error.  I am not using manual placement of programs. 
So we dont want any more errors or incomptability issues.

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @AnkitaP

It is recommended to use the latest version of CyBootloaderUtils as there have been some changes. 

Regarding the issue that you are facing, can you please share a snapshot of the error that you are observing? Also, can you please let us know if there is any difference in the memory consumption of the bootloader application when built using PSoC Creator 4.4. You can find it at the end of the build log. Please refer to this KBA and let me know if you face the same issue - Bootloader Host Error: “The Flash Row is not Valid for the Selected Array” - KBA221445

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
AnkitaP
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

@Rakshith thank you for your response! We will upgrade the CyBootloaderUtils library if it is recommended. Thank you.

Foir the error which I am seeing - which makes some PSoCs backward compatible after upgrading to new PSoC creator 4.4 - here is the error 

CYRET_ERR_ROW (hex code - 0x0A)

I believe the memory of bootloader.hex file built on 4.4 IDE is bigger than that built on 3.3 IDE.

So when I use bootloader.hex file build on 4.4 IDE along with a cyacd file that was build on 3.3 IDE, it gives me the above error. 

Is my understanding correct?  

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @AnkitaP

Yes, the comment over the error definition explains the reason for the error - 

Rakshith_0-1622549989817.png

This is the same error that you get when trying it with the Bootloader Host Tool that is bundled with PSoC Creator. 

The bootloadable project will have the dependency of the previous bootloader which occupies lesser memory. The bootloadable is unaware of the newer bootloader taking up more space as the metadata is not updated. It will try to overwrite the bootloader (newer bootloader that is programmed) which is not allowed and you get this error.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes