PSoC 5 will support Ethernet?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is any plans to make some PSoC5 family with Ethernet?

0 Likes
7 Replies
KishoreS_96
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

No as of now. May be in Q2, 2011.

Kishore.

0 Likes
MiSa_288856
Level 1
Level 1

The ethernet support is confirmed to be out con Q2 2011? It will be just ethernet hardware support or will also add IP stack?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The MDIO protocol defined for Ethernet can be implemented in the PSoC5 UDB. There has been proposals for implementation of this protocol.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any application note or code example for adding ethernet to Psoc 5?

Thank you in advance

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not aware of any way of implementing TCP/IP in PSoC 5 natively. I am not aware of any TCP/IP Stack having been ported to PSoC 5 either.

I have, however, successfully integrated TCP/IP, UDP and a web browser into PSoC 5 products by using external devices.

As far as I am aware the PSoC 5 does not have a MAC or a PHY, both of which are physically required to implement ethernet.

My soultion was to use a PIC18F67J60, which has both MAC and PHY and runs the free microchip TCP/IP stack  and connect it to the PSoC using I2C. This means that there is no need to develope your own TCP/IP Stack and it frees the PSoC core for doing other tasks. You will need to add a PHY and MAC anyway, so this method does not increase the component count. The only other components required are an RJ45 Jack with built-in magnetics, a 25 Mhz crystal or oscillator and a few passive components.

There are other ways to implement ethernet - you could just choose your own MAC and PHY chip(s) and code your own stack - but it is a big task. I don't think there is any need to re-invent the wheel.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You mat want to consider a very fast and reliable Ubicom IP2022 Network Processor made by Qualcomm (Ubicom was purchased).

Last stable tool attached as exe  use the Jtag debugger, you need to make a simple parallel port Jtag adapter a few wires. 

Jeff

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Micrel offers a number of low cost MAC/PHY controllers -

http://micrel.com/index.php/en/products/lan-solutions/controllers.html

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes