PSOC5LP MCU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PrateekKumar
Level 2
Level 2
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

Can we just implement TPS25982 block diagram to PSoC5LP MCU. I am attaching the link for datasheet of TPS25982 and the functional block diagram

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps25982.pdf?ts=1611299035488&ref_url=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.goog...

Page No:18

Please do let me know in full brief about the different blocks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Prateek,

Here is a simple circuit to measure an unknown external resistance:

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1613652874570.png

Vadc = Voltage read from the ADC.

Idac = Current set at the IDAC

Runknown = the unknown resistance to be measured.

Runknown = Vadc/Idac.

The IDAC can be set as high as 2.04mA.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Prateek Kumar,

I believe that direct copy of the TPS power supervisor would be impractical. You would still have to use External pass-thru FET and (possibly) a FET driver for high voltage operation, as all PSoC i/o are limited to 5V.

It is possible to use PSoC for power supervising, with some creative input, using, for example ADC instead of comparators, etc. Please check Power Supervisor component in Creator Component Palette.

/odissey1

odissey1_0-1611606472241.png

0 Likes

But actually could you brief that how we got to implement the digital functions in brief

0 Likes

Prateek Kumar,

Main features of the TPS power supervisor

- 24 V operation

- 15A current pass-thru

- overvoltage and overcurrent detection and shutdown

- power monitor

To implement this circuit, one have to add 24V to 5V DC-DC converter for PSoC, high-side current monitor, like TI INA series chip, and external MOSFET with MOSFET driver. What's left to PSoC is few comparators and logic.  I don't see a sense of it

0 Likes
PrateekKumar
Level 2
Level 2

How we got to implement the current and voltage sources?

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Prateek,

What exactly is your requirement from current and voltage sources ? What are the specs to be met ? PSoC 5 has IDAC/VDAC blocks, but cannot use them as a source without external driver.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
PrateekKumar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Vasanth,

I want to measure current across the GPIO pin let's say I map my analog pin to P6[0], so can I measure current through that pin.

0 Likes
PrateekKumar
Level 2
Level 2

Or let's suppose in the circuit I want to measure the current at some node I put a pin to that place and map the pin to PSoC device, so will I may be able to measure the current through ammeter.

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Prateek,

To measure the current flowing through the device(sinked or sourced by the device, there is no peripheral available. If you are sinking the current through a shunt resitance or some other means, using the ADC the voltage across the shunt resistance can be measured. From this the current sinked could be measured.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
PrateekKumar
Level 2
Level 2

Okay what you are saying is across that pin I need to connect resistance (external) to measure the voltage drop across it but that the current that will be flowing through resistor should be in the range of  few uA to few mA because as in active mode the PSoC device can supports only upto 1.8mA(approx), I think so.

0 Likes

Prateek,

Here is a simple circuit to measure an unknown external resistance:

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1613652874570.png

Vadc = Voltage read from the ADC.

Idac = Current set at the IDAC

Runknown = the unknown resistance to be measured.

Runknown = Vadc/Idac.

The IDAC can be set as high as 2.04mA.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes