PSOC 5lp IR Receiver

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StWy_1297206
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Is anyone aware of examples on how to read input from an IR remote with the 5lp?

Thank you,

Steven

0 Likes
5 Replies
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi Steven,

You can use the below example as reference.

PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit Community Project#091 – RC-5... | element14 | Cypress Kits

Regards

Alakananda

Alakananda
0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Steven,

Many IR protocols tend to use ASK-style transmission.  If you're not familiar with ASK, it is basically like AM transmission where there is a higher frequency carrier and the carrier is turned on if the bit is '1' and off if the bit is '0'.   The carrier is used to distinguish the true IR signal from sunlight variations.

If you don't have a specification for the IR protocol you're trying to interpret, the way to find the carrier is to receive the signal with the IR sensor and find the carrier frequency using a scope.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi Steven,

I wrote a Blog about this:  http://www.socmaker.com.  It includes a PSOC 5 project, and a board (eagle file format) and the firmware that I used. It is being used to control A/C units at the moment.

I tried doing the decode of the IR pulses using Manchester, and that failed for A/C units,   so I ended up using a timer to get the timing of the signals.  That stored into an array.

Basically, you want an IR receiver IC with a filter around 40khz to read the I/R Pulses.

0 Likes

Steve,

Yes a IR receiver could work.  There are a number available.   Getting the 40KHz filter (or better ... carrier detect) is the 'trick'.

Do you have specs on the IR transmission equipment?  This will help with many of the layers of ISO communications including physical, bit encode/decode (Manchester, ASK, NRZ, etc), transport (Addressing) and more.

Here are some topics regarding SW decoding of IR data.  They may not be exactly your IR Tx but should provide some hints where to look in the received (carrier removed).

https://www.electroschematics.com/ir-decoder-encoder-part-1/

https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-infrared-library/hardware-needed

I assume since you are using IR, you have line-of-sight access to the A/C units.   I assume each A/C unit is room installed.  I'm also assuming you're using IR instead of BLE to eliminate cross-comm to other units.

Suggestion:  It is possible to use BLE where the remote is paired to the A/C unit.  This should give you isolation.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Steven,

Are you creating the IR Tx device?  

Are you using a commercially available IR Tx unit?  If so, what is the Manufacturer, Brand, Model?

Len

Len
0 Likes