PGA Operation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins First solution authored 100 replies posted

Hi,

Using a PGA to buffer a small signal before input to a mux and ATD. The part is configured to use Internal Vss.

In the program, I accidently forgot to turn it on via PGA_Start() yet it does give me a directly proportional output with a range that is repeatable and can be calibrated. If the part is turned on, then the dynamic range is reduced to an unusable range, though the ATD count is much higher.

Is the part actually in a low power state and receiving power if I fail to do a PGA_Start()?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

I set up attached test bed.

With PGA off, 10 Khz in, G = 1 or 50, I measured 100 mV out of feedthru.

My guess is that when PGA is off the feedthru occurs thru stray C of fdbk network,

which is probably not switched open when PGA is off ? Note I used adjacent pins so

that could contribute to pin to pin coupling. So I moved output to end of port pins

and feedthru dropped to 50 mV.

Regards, Dana.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

If you are taking G with a PGA then your CM input range is reduced by

the G you are using before you drive the output into distortion/saturation.

So if you used G = 10, on a Vdd of 5, then input range is limited to 0 - .5

before you loose CM range on the output.

Not sure of effect you are seeing before its started, what freq are you

inputing to PGA. When you start it if power up in with the G and Power

level as configed, unless you use APIs to change them.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

I'm trying to find out if the PGA is getting power without issuing a PGA_Start(). It might be a question for a semiconductor / VHDL guru.

If there is no power applied to the PGA, then I'm doing something like driving a diode through the feedback resistors. The signal is basically a DC level around 240mV.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

You have a schematic and scope capture of in and out ?

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

No scope capture, just reading the ADC_DelSig counts. The input is straight DC, typically 240 millivolts. The PGA is in place to boost a photo diode output.

0 Likes
lock attach
ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5

Attached as document.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I set up attached test bed.

With PGA off, 10 Khz in, G = 1 or 50, I measured 100 mV out of feedthru.

My guess is that when PGA is off the feedthru occurs thru stray C of fdbk network,

which is probably not switched open when PGA is off ? Note I used adjacent pins so

that could contribute to pin to pin coupling. So I moved output to end of port pins

and feedthru dropped to 50 mV.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

Thank you for trying that, Dana. I've subsequently opened a case to see what they say and the initial response was that the SC/CT block is configured at boot up, which incorporates capacitors. I'll report back what I hear from them.

ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5

So I did open a case and they sent me a project that routes the PGA output to a pin. Their result was a fluctuating voltage due to "a high Z condition. Not sure what the goal of trying the project is yet. I guess so that I can see a fluctuating voltage on a scope in a configuration I'm not using? I did read the PSoC3 architecture section that talks about Miller capacitance. Surely there is someone that understands what's happening at the silicon level.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Looking at attached, SC/CT Block from which PGAs are made of, you can see

quite a few opportunities for feed thru, off switch parasitics, etc.. This of course

does not address silicon issues, like source bulk effect currents modulating

driver thresholds, etc.. although I think good design and isolation would have

addressed most of this. I would have to file a CASE but I thought that when

a _Stop() was issued to a CT block all bias networks were turned off, eg. the

block is no longer active. Otherwise how could they achive the deep sleep current

specs.....

That was a great project they sent you....:)

Are you using, in addition to PGA, a TIA to condition the photodiode ? You can

take a lot of conversion G there properly setup.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes

The thing is, I didn't issue the PGA_Stop(). I just powered up and started the reading the output in the ADC_DelSig, so there might be an encounter of the third kind, ha ha,.

Your suggestion about the TIA sounds like the right idea and is what we may be trying next but with an available external op-amp. My problem was, in measuring the light, I was only getting about a 10 ADC count range from fully on to all the way off. The ADC is set to 16 bit and the readings were in up around 10,000. I put in the PGA and it gave me a repeatable range of around 400 counts, which allowed me to calibrate but it was in the range of 700 - 1100 counts. If I hear anything back on my case I'll drop it in here.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Basically you are working with photo diode currents which are small. But the TIA

has a conversion G quite high since the Rfb can be in the M Ohm range. Just try

it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwj9pc3l9J_IAhXPth4...

Regards, Dana.

ScEn_283436
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Dana,

I did try it and the TIA is definitely the solution but I also put in a PGA_INV so the counts I'm reading are in phase. The downside is the amplification also amplifies the noise level but we'll deal with that next. Appreciate your looking into this and guidance. It has indeed been a help.

Nick

0 Likes