Modbus rtu Master

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hi to all!

Hope this is the right forum, other wise tell me and will move where it should be.

I would like to know what I need to implement a modbus rtu within psoc 5lp, I do have a on a psoc 4 the slave part and also on psoc 1. I'm really quit new with this modbus thing, but I need, for a design, have a psoc 5lp as master so it can read a coriolis and based on readings cut a electrovalve. If any detail is needed just ask and try to explain what I need,.

Any readings on modbus or where can I get any idea on how to implement on psoc 5lp will be thankful

Thank you all in advance

Regards to everyone

Edgardo

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

Hi tdvdesign, there it goes! It's from EmbeddedSam

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Edgardo

Even though I never build a ModBus Master on PSoC I believe I can give you some hints:

as you have the slave part on PSoC 4, you have done a lot of the work already 😉 You can very much copy everything from your PSoC 4 project to PSoC 5LP. I am not sure how you did the IOs on the slaves, those you might have to redraw in your PSoC 5LP Project.
All your send and receive functionality is the same and can be copied (pinouts might change according to your needs)
You will have to change the command parser and answer compiler (slave is parsing the commands and compiling the answer) to compile the commands and parse the answer.

Important extra of the Master is the "time out" on answers. ModBus Masters are supposed to time out communication requests if the slave is not answering at all as well as the answer is incomplete. (incomplete answers will be detected by CRC as well)

The tricky part is collision prevention in case you have a multimaster system. I am not sure if you have this as an issue!?

My favorite Reference for ModBus is the following:
http://modbus.org/docs/PI_MBUS_300.pdf

I hope this helps a little
Frank

0 Likes
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

Hi .Franksanderdo!

Thank you for your post and recommended reading which I'll be downloading.

Thank you again for the help.

Edgardo

0 Likes
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

Well folks, I decided to use arduino, more info and libs for modbus master and slave applications. Hope someone one day makes a stack for psoc. Thanks to all any way

Edgardo

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Hi,

Can you share the slave modbus for PSOC 4?

Thank you,

Tom

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

Hi tdvdesign, there it goes! It's from EmbeddedSam

0 Likes
ToVa_285016
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Thank you.  I have a custom circuit board being made to test this out as a demo RS485 communication system for a PLC training module.
Regards,

Tom

0 Likes
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

You're welcome tdvdesign!

Best regards

Edgardo

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you share the slave modbus for PSOC 1?

Thank you,

TJ

0 Likes
EdUc_284901
Level 4
Level 4

Hi yungkt,

The code is from a guy whose name is Aubrey Kagan and he's a member of this forum. I have his writings from Circuit-Cellar and the code. If he have no problem that I upload the two writings then I'll upload them with codings.

Regards

Edgardo

0 Likes