MiniProg3 'repair'.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

I'd like to share some info on how to 'fix' a broken MiniProg3.

I have several broken MiniProg3 and after a little investigation, I noticed Vtarg was short-circuiting to GND. My first thought was that the protection diode TVS3 could be the culprit, but after removing it, the short circuit was still present. Next I suspected the switched power IC TPS65053, so to determine this I removed L2. And bingo, the switched power IC is short circuiting at it's output to GND.

Because L2 was removed I had to power the target PSoC externally and all programming and debugging worked again.

The downside of this repair is that you are no longer able to use any other programming voltage setting than "external". To fully fix this problem, one needs to replace the TPS65053 which will probably cost more than a MiniProg3.

Regards,

Rolf

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work.

You may be able to get samples from TI to get it repaired.

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

In unit volumes on Digikey is ~ $ 6 each.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, the part itself would be not expensive but the time to replace it would probably be not worth it.

I noticed more people on internet having problems with the same TI part. It seems the negative side of the half bridge is burned, which could be due of over-/under voltage on the Vtarg or a too high current. The internal lower side FET or the protection diode may be the cause of the short circuit. The funny thing is that the protection diode TVS3 is still okay.

Regards,

Rolf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you are right.

But if you have the right tools and in need to have it fix. it is still possible to do.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

worth to  do!after all     the ICis $ 6 each.

0 Likes
brgoc_293481
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

Hello sir

I also having the same problem in my Miniprog. I found that GND and XRES PIN is Shorted in the miniProg. I read many of doc. on this problem and found that I need to Remove the TVS2 so I remove the TVS2 and also Remove the L3 also. but still, the problem are same. I Can't program the IC . from my Miniprog. 

Please guide me if anyone having some solution with this topic .

0 Likes
brgoc_293481
Level 1
Level 1
First like given Welcome!

It seems the Miniprog3 is not powering the circuit - PSoC Programmer says "Not Powered", and my voltmeter never registers any output on Vtarg for either the 5 or 10 pin connector.  The Target Power LED blinks while it attempts to program though. 

0 Likes
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5

It seems the Rev *B is a little more robust on the power output. Depending on the problem you might want to remove (and replace) one of the protection diodes TVSxx. I just repaired one Miniprog 3 by replacing the protection diode connected to SDAT (and luckily nothing more fried).

0 Likes

Where are your from sir

if you can find the solution for your miniprog then can you repire me my progmini3.where are your form .?

0 Likes