Low power in Alt.Active, RTX tick-less mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I want to express my respect to the Cypress development team for a very interesting product, programmable SoC, which is now gaining immense popularity in the market. Many industrial solutions are based on this system because of its versatility. Our team is engaged in development of sensors based on the system PSoC 5LP and we want to make your system more profitable for developers terms of ease of operation and energy efficiency, as energy efficiency is one of the most painful issues for embedded devices.

We ported RTOS CMSIS-RTX on PSoC 5LP and want to use tick-less mode, it will allow the system is in low-power mode all time when do not need to perform any actions. In order to use RTX Tick-Less mode, we must set the timer with period in ms so how can sleep RTOS. This need to wake up from sleep timer's interrupt. Because of these reasons it is impossible to use existing low-power modes Sleep and Hibernate. So we decided to look in more detail at the mode Alt.Active. I hope you can help us to understand this.

1. Is it possible using Alt.Active mode to achieve the same low power consumption as in Sleep mode?

2. How to minimize power consumption in Alt.Active mode? It is very important that the wakeyp source was an interrupt.

3. What happens to the PSoC by setting lp_mode bits in the register PM_MODE_CSR?

4. Do you have any examples of usage Alt.Active mode at minimum power?

Best Regards,

Konstantin

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Did you already see this AN? www.cypress.com/

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Bob,

thanks for fast reply. Yes, I already saw this Application Note, but it doesn't answer on my questions above.

I use techniques described in AN, and I am intreresting to achieve a very low power consumption in Alt.Active like in Sleep Mode. How can I reach this goal?

Thanks,

Konstantin

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

All components that have power-mode control offer a ComponentName_Sleep() and a ComponentName_Wakeup() API.

So check all your used components for
- Having a _Sleep() API
- can be turned off during low power

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I make test on clear TopDesign without any component besides RTC. I want to achieve a very low power consumption in Alt.Active mode like in Sleep Mode. Is it possible?

When I do it, I'll add need components to design and test power consumption with it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thnik in the Alt.Active mode power consumption isn't very low like in Sleep mode. Is it right conslusion?

So, I need a counter timer that working in Sleep mode with 1 kHz freq. I want to count ticks happened when RTOS and PSoC sleep.
Sleep timer is not suitable because it has limited number of periods.

Has the PSoC 5LP a such timer working in Sleep mode?

Best regards,
Konstantin
0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Read the ARM Cortex M3 Technical Reference Manual from here: infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp. at the bottom of the index is a link to download manual as .pdf. There is a "System Tick Timer" mentioned which you may use independently from the other sources.

Bob

0 Likes