Linker wastes memory

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am working on a project with a CY8C24123 in assembly using PSoC Designer 5.3.

The code size is going to the limits of the memory of the CY8C24123, so I am quite concerned with memory use.

Today I found that the linker is wasting quite a lot of my precious memory. It leaves a gap between the code coming from boot.asm and the initialisation code for the blocks. There is nothing between the boot.asm code and $0150, wasting about 200 bytes.

I found that this memory gap is caused by a system variable called "RELSTART" that can be found in the "opts.txt" and make files. Though I have not found how I can do anything about this. Every time I change the value it gets overwritten on the next assembly run.

BTW: It would be nice if selecting "Assembly" as the programming method all C support code gets automatically thrown out of the system generated source code.

0 Likes
3 Replies
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

This might help -

www.cypress.com/

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

In Designer under Project -> Settings -> Linker you can find an option where the relocatable code starts. You may adjust this for your needs.

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

... and regarding C - specific code: afaik all of that is #ifed so that no code is generated when you select "Assembly" as your programming language.

Bob

0 Likes