Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anna
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello!

I am using a CY8CKIT-0505 PSoC 5LP Development Kit and I want to ask if there is any camera I can use to interface with it. My project is about a surveillance robot so I want to control the camera remotely.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Anna,

In the case of the ESP32-CAM, it uses the ESP32 chip on-board of the camera module for the Wi-Fi connection you want.

I'm not that familiar with the ESP32-CAM but I believe you can control turning the camera on or off from the GPIO pins.  (You may have to place an Arduino program in the ESP32 processor first).

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Anna,

Is the camera image intended to be used by the robot or to be seen by humans?

Although the PSoC5 is a great part, IMHO, it lacks a large SRAM memory model to store an process an image let alone a video image set.  The PSoC5 also lacks a wireless connection to allow your robot untethered mobility.

If you need wireless, usually WiFi is your better solution.   Even Bluetooth 4.2 or lower has limitations for video bandwidth.

Len

It's not used by the robot, it's only for humans to see what the robot "sees". I've read articles about Arduino interfacing ESP32-CAM or other modules controlled by smartphones and I was thinking to create a similar project but with PSoC5. 

0 Likes

Anna,

In the case of the ESP32-CAM, it uses the ESP32 chip on-board of the camera module for the Wi-Fi connection you want.

I'm not that familiar with the ESP32-CAM but I believe you can control turning the camera on or off from the GPIO pins.  (You may have to place an Arduino program in the ESP32 processor first).

Len
0 Likes

Thanks for your help! Do you know if there is any other solution for this? Maybe a different camera with another interface 

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

have a look at the projects for OV9650L and OV7670.
It is highly desirable that the camera (OV7670) has a memory buffer.

0 Likes