In 2020, what are the most common approaches to power-line-communications for hobbyists?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BuHa_1507271
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Note: cross posting​ from Stack Exchange

I'm looking for modern control protocols, designs and/or components to simplify controlling (and running) a very low power system on a chip safely from mains power.  I'm in the USA, and on a hobby budget. Consumer trends here are of interest, but so is the National Electric Code.   Surely the world has come a long way since X10.  

Has Bluetooth LE (BLE) made the older power-line communications standards old-hat?  Are there ways of coupling BLE into the power-line that are considered good practices?

**==Background==**  

The Cypress Semiconductor [PSOC 5LP][1] illustrates the *class* of SOC i'm looking to use as a building block. 

I'm not tied the PSOC family, but I've found it to be very low-cost prototyping friendly.   This sort of device has some impressive programmable analog and digital blocks that might make sense to leverage to keep chip count to a minimum.    As I remember, Cypress had a PLC product line some years back, but it seems they are out-of-the-game.   None of Cypress's current applications notes seem to make recommendations.    

[1]: https://www.cypress.com/products/32-bit-arm-cortex-m3-psoc-5lp

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

BuHa,

Power lines are notorious for being noisy and the transmission line impedance is unreliable.  That is why the old X10 standard had an upper limit on the carrier frequency and the data rate was V...E...R...Y slow.

There are a number of products out in the market today to replace the X10 using WiFi or a WiFi/BLE combo.  I currently use a set of devices that can be controlled by a Personal Voice Assistant to control my lights.

Although there may not be a direct app note on the Cypress system to this effect, Cypress has both WiFI and BLE proudcts that can be used to create such an ecosystem.

You might what to check out this KB post:  Adding AWS IoT Thing Parameters - KBA228420

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

It  makes no sense. Several commercial parts  available, like MAX2991

/odissey1

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

BuHa,

Power lines are notorious for being noisy and the transmission line impedance is unreliable.  That is why the old X10 standard had an upper limit on the carrier frequency and the data rate was V...E...R...Y slow.

There are a number of products out in the market today to replace the X10 using WiFi or a WiFi/BLE combo.  I currently use a set of devices that can be controlled by a Personal Voice Assistant to control my lights.

Although there may not be a direct app note on the Cypress system to this effect, Cypress has both WiFI and BLE proudcts that can be used to create such an ecosystem.

You might what to check out this KB post:  Adding AWS IoT Thing Parameters - KBA228420

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes