I am about to release a new product that uses the CY8C27143-PXI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StEl_289216
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First solution authored First reply posted

I found today that Cypress has obsoleted the part. I have looked through all of the other newer PSoC families and I cannot find anything even close to the 27143.

So I may be screwed big time, I just need a small 8 pin part with the PSoC core. Do I have any options at all or do I have to scrap a $100K product development ?

Steve

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have found that the CY8C27243 is still in production and even though it is a 20 pin SSOP package it occupies the same PCB real estate as the 8 pin DIP 8C272143. So I respun the PC board and I will be good to go as long as Cypress continues to offer the '243. I know the PSoC1 family is old but the functionality is still top notch and in many ways easier to use than the later PSoC families.

Estimated use is about 5000 per year.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Steve,

Check vendors, Digikey, Mouser, Arrow. Sometimes they have some leftover stashed and buy a hundred of those. With $100k product, you probably need only few dozens of them for a lifetime.

/odissey1

0 Likes

I have found that the CY8C27243 is still in production and even though it is a 20 pin SSOP package it occupies the same PCB real estate as the 8 pin DIP 8C272143. So I respun the PC board and I will be good to go as long as Cypress continues to offer the '243. I know the PSoC1 family is old but the functionality is still top notch and in many ways easier to use than the later PSoC families.

Estimated use is about 5000 per year.

0 Likes

StEl,

I like PSoC1. Many things were more functional than PSoC5. For example, Opamps GBR>5MHz, vs. 1MHz for PSoC5. Price ~$1. If Cypress could upgrade it with M4 processor it would be da bomb. We should continue bugging Cypress about it.

/odissey1

0 Likes

BoTa_264741 schrieb:

StEl,

I like PSoC1. Many things were more functional than PSoC5. For example, Opamps GBR>5MHz, vs. 1MHz for PSoC5. Price ~$1. If Cypress could upgrade it with M4 processor it would be da bomb. We should continue bugging Cypress about it.

/odissey1

I agree, I'd like to see an update of PSoC 5 family. Not necessarily with an M4 (would be nice anyway), but at least for some of the current features like you mentioned with the OpAmps or for some of the digital parts also. It was always nice being able to plug a PSoC 5LP in any circuit regardless of the supply voltage - not possible with PSoC 6.

Regards

0 Likes