How to make an USB-UART "switch box"?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I want to use the PSoC 5LP as UART switch box. It will be connected with USB to PC and the other side will be a number of selectable UART ports. The purpose of the box is to connect the PC to a single UART and to be able to select the active UART.

Till now, in my projects I was using the USBUART component as a single port USB-UART bridge. Is it possible to add some configuration to it for my purpose?

I'm not really familiar with the USB standard, and it's very complicated... I know that there is a protocol called HID, which I can use(?) for "uart-select" command. Is it possible to have both USBUART and HID protocols simultaneously on the device? How can I use the HID?

Would much appreciate any help.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello,

Yes it is possible to have HID + USBUART or dual USBUART. You need to have IAD properly in case of multiple interfaces.

Thanks,

Hima 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Yes it is possible to have HID + USBUART or dual USBUART. You need to have IAD properly in case of multiple interfaces.

Thanks,

Hima 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

What's IAD?

I would prefer to have HID+USBUART. This way I can have multiple UARTs (more than 2).

Where should I look for explanation on how to do it (because I'm not familiar with the USB standard)?

Thanks.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I use the USBFS component and configure it as seen in the attached pic, the HID device is enumerated and can be used.

When I add the same configuration to the USBUART component (the second pic), even though I can see the interface in USBVIEW, the HID is not accessable...

What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee

Hello,

Can you have a look at this post for reference: http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-3-known-problems-and-solutions/cdchid-composite-class-psoc3

Please note that this is an old project.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hima.

Thank you for sharing.

1) I don't see anything related to IAD in the project, although it is said that the project uses IAD...

2) When I compile and program the project to CY8CKIT-059 Board, I get errors in the device manager related to the CDC interface (see the attached pic).

0 Likes