How to calculate time took by the psoc 5 chip for the instruction

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying to use clock () function to get the time used by code i have wrote. The code is in the main before infinite for loop.

eg. 

volatile clock_t start1,end1,;

volatile float64 c_time;

start1=clock();

//then my code comes here

end1= clock();

c_time =( float) (end1- start1)/ (float)(CLOCKS_PER_SEC);

when i debug the code and looks in the variables start1 and end1, it displays same value .

is there any other way by which I can try to determine the time taken by my code.

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

ammarshamim,

You can yse ARM built-in SysTick counter to measure amount of CPU cycles taken by a function or operation as shown below. You will be limited by 2^24 CPU ticks only (about 0.25sec @24MHz CPU speed), as SysTick counter on Cortex M0 and M3 can not go beyond SYSTICK_MAXVAL:

#define SYSTICK_MAXVAL 0x00FFFFFF //max allowed SysTick counter value for 24bit

uint32 SysCntVal; // The value of SysTick counter you are trying to retrieve

SysTick_Config(SYSTICK_MAXVAL); //reset counter set to max value, 1-time, will not reload

TCPWM_WritePeriod(); //do something..

SysCntVal = SYSTICK_MAXVAL - (SysTick->VAL); //get elapsed ticks (min offset 3 ticks)

sprintf(strMsg1, "%d, %f\r\n", SysCntVal, x); //report result UART_PutString(strMsg1);

/odissey1  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Have you setup a timer or counter? What does your function clock() exactly perform? Can you post your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings? To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

ammarshamim,

You can yse ARM built-in SysTick counter to measure amount of CPU cycles taken by a function or operation as shown below. You will be limited by 2^24 CPU ticks only (about 0.25sec @24MHz CPU speed), as SysTick counter on Cortex M0 and M3 can not go beyond SYSTICK_MAXVAL:

#define SYSTICK_MAXVAL 0x00FFFFFF //max allowed SysTick counter value for 24bit

uint32 SysCntVal; // The value of SysTick counter you are trying to retrieve

SysTick_Config(SYSTICK_MAXVAL); //reset counter set to max value, 1-time, will not reload

TCPWM_WritePeriod(); //do something..

SysCntVal = SYSTICK_MAXVAL - (SysTick->VAL); //get elapsed ticks (min offset 3 ticks)

sprintf(strMsg1, "%d, %f\r\n", SysCntVal, x); //report result UART_PutString(strMsg1);

/odissey1  

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Bob,

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Obviously the clock() function would use some internal hardware which must be taken away from the existing resources. This could be a conflict with own projects. So I'm afraid that you'll have to provide an own clock counter as odissey suggested.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used odissey's function. a simple sin wave output takes about 9000 cycles ( approx 2700 hex) I dont know why it is taking so long. and due to this, I am restricted to 70 hertz frequency for my sin wave that takes 100 samples. I dont know why this simple loop is taking so long. CAn anybody suggests why it is that long?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

I do not know what you're counting, but I count something like 32 cycles for the your code snippet (before the loop).

You even could reduce that time by pre-calculating 2*Pi into a float and  declaring Signal_Freq as a float, then there will be no conversions.

A PSoC5 is able to handle 10k interrupts per second, so your calculation is not too much stress. You could improve performance by raising the system clock from 24MHz to 48MHz (66MHz is maximum). Compiling in release mode and setting optimization to "speed" will do an additional share (do not forget to set additional library to "m").

Bob

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

ammarshamim,

1. there is special component to generate sine output from VDAC with no intervention from CPU: WaveDAC.

2. Comments on your code:

(i). do not use float32, using float is enough in your case.

(ii). precalculate frequency of the sine to reduce amount of multiplies:

(float) Omega =  2*Pi*Signal_Freq; //frequency

SignalInstValue= (float)Amp*sin(Omega*Time_Sin);

(iii). "PI" is not 3.14! Use predefined constant in math.h

(iv). Never make comparison of floats! (float32 in this case... - takes forever and not guaranteed to match)

//if( Time_Sin ==Signal_Period) {...} //comment out this code - you dont need it at all! Let Time_Sin increase forever

0 Likes
JaOr_4642046
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I have exactly the same problem, with the measure time between code but , sorry, I don't understand well how to follow your instructions.

I need to measure the time between instructions in a code part (I am working with  CY8C5868AXI). when I tried with your suggestion it did not work to me.

Some one can help me about it.

Thank you very much.

regards.

0 Likes

JaOr,

This is very old thread. Please find updated solutions here

Re: 1 full cycle time

And here

Measuring cycles using DTW on PSoC 6(M4)

/odissey1

0 Likes