Getting proximtiy detection similar to PSoC4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to use the PSOC 5 for proximity detection in a way like the simple demo of PSOC4 allows. But I get not similar results in detecting proximity on a single wire with PSOC5.

I tried to keep it as similar as possible but with Auto (SmartSense) I have no success at all. When using CapSense_CSD with TuningMethod=None I at least get proximity detection through cable isolation so maybe a bit better than pure button but not near any proximity detection.

Is the PSOC 5 architecture worse than PSOC 4 for this kind of task?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

PSOC4 Capsense is an incremental improvement over the PSOC5LP Capsense due to which there will be difference in the proximity sensing range.

You can mitigate the noise by using a ground loop surrounding the proximity loop on the PCB.

Any specific reason you are considering using PSOC5LP over PSOC4?

Thanks,

Ranjith

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

PSOC4 Capsense is an incremental improvement over the PSOC5LP Capsense due to which there will be difference in the proximity sensing range.

You can mitigate the noise by using a ground loop surrounding the proximity loop on the PCB.

Any specific reason you are considering using PSOC5LP over PSOC4?

Thanks,

Ranjith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this information. I found some ways to get a bit improvement, but not in the range I liked to achieve. So I understand that PSOC4 would be the better solution for me.

The proximity detection is based on single wire, so I have no way to shield on  PCB to improve range.

The reason to prefer PSOC5 over PSOC4 is the fact that the CY8CKIT-059 provides all I need without extra effort. I use this in a "mobile" application witch supplies the kit using USB Powerbank as cheap of-the-shelf solution.

0 Likes