Gentle introduction to workflow involving PSoC design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
timbo
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

Over the years I've done my share of hardware programming, e.g. CPLD, FPGAs, etc.  But it's been a long time since the power of microcontrollers have improved I haven't had the need when I need a new home grown hardware component.

In my search for a good Quadrature Decoder module I came across Cypress QuadDec and realized that it's a solution that requires hardware programming.  I would appreciate a basic characterization of what it would take for me to implement this (kind) soluion.   I would like to get a sense of the following issues:

• Cost of programmer hardware
  • Cost of software tools to convert IP description into programming
  • General sense of what IP is available for use that is low cost or free
  • General characterizations of using PSoC vs other class and vendor solutions using similar techniques.

My goal is to determine effort ramp up to get back into hardware programming and cost, and how much I might consider for other projects.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

timbo,

My favorite kit is $10 PSoC5LP Prototyping board

CY8CKIT-059 PSoC® 5LP Prototyping Kit With Onboard Programmer and Debugger 

It has snap-off programmer and debugger, so no other hardware is necessary. Just plug into USB port of the computer. The board is available also from many online distributors (Digi-key, Mouser, Newark, Arrow, etc.).

The programming environment is free (Creator v4.4), and can be downloaded here (go directly to Download Creator):

PSoC® Creator™ Integrated Design Environment (IDE) 

Note that it natively works only in Windows OS, though some people use it on Apple computers in Windows emulator mode.

Once Creator IDE is installed, go to: File->Project examples, which has QuadDecoder demos. And the best way to speed-up development is to ask questions on the forum.

Regards,

/odissey1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

timbo,

what is the purpose of the Quad Decoder: motor control or manual rotary encoder input? Do you plan to use it strictly with PSoC3 or modern PSoCs: PSoC4, 5 or 6?

0 Likes
timbo
Level 1
Level 1

odissey1,  Thanks for responding.  I'm needing to add wheel odometry to a mobile platform (3-wheel, front left and right encoders, CUI AM103).

I started building a simple uC PCB to implement Quadrature decoder but thought to search for an already made PCB, even one that might take wheel counts to pose, but the only reasonably good options I found used  FPGA or PSoC like devices which I'm not practiced, nor have the tools, to do.  Hence, me asking about what it would take to ramp up to be able to design with PSoC devices.

I don't know PSoC3 from PSoC5.  I'm out of practice and our world of technologies and resources has grown so much but i have not needed to keep up.   I was hoping to get general characterization of the workflow(s), tools, and device types that would be involved.   I haven't designed or flashed an FPGA in over 20 years and I'm sure things have changed.

Thanks

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9

timbo,

My favorite kit is $10 PSoC5LP Prototyping board

CY8CKIT-059 PSoC® 5LP Prototyping Kit With Onboard Programmer and Debugger 

It has snap-off programmer and debugger, so no other hardware is necessary. Just plug into USB port of the computer. The board is available also from many online distributors (Digi-key, Mouser, Newark, Arrow, etc.).

The programming environment is free (Creator v4.4), and can be downloaded here (go directly to Download Creator):

PSoC® Creator™ Integrated Design Environment (IDE) 

Note that it natively works only in Windows OS, though some people use it on Apple computers in Windows emulator mode.

Once Creator IDE is installed, go to: File->Project examples, which has QuadDecoder demos. And the best way to speed-up development is to ask questions on the forum.

Regards,

/odissey1

0 Likes
timbo
Level 1
Level 1

odissey1, that gets me off to a great start.  Thanks.   I will take some time to obtain that kit and take steps to explore.

Appreciate it.

0 Likes