GPIO Pin Vs. SIO Pin - Driving a power MOSFET

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I have been trying to drive an external power MOSFET (IRFD113 - N Channel) with the PSoC 3 at ~20 kHz. The GPIO pin appears not to have enough drive strength to switch the FET with acceptable rise/fall times. I was thinking that the SIO pins might help with their improved current sinking capabilities (20mA vs. 4mA). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about doing this? Could I parallel pins for improved drive strength?

Thanks,

Diode Dan

P.S. I am aware of external MOSFET gate driver ICs. I would love to see a clever PSoC only solution though!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

The IRFD113 has 200 pF of input C and Vgson drive of 10V for Rdson rating.

You sure this is device you want, or a logic level FET more appropriate ? Note

in latter you typically have even more Ciss to deal with.

Yes, you can parallel pins to get more drive, there is a limit for the overall port

in the datasheet for allowed C.

Remember to set initial state of pin to keep MOSFET off.

Lastly if you need real low RDSon, and "clean" drive, consider external drivers.

There are parts by many manufacturers that can drive very high C loads. Board

layout critical, high C drive currents with start L give rise to some pretty big transients.

Even some buffers in single gate logic families (cheap stuff, pennies) could be considered.

Regards, Dana.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

If you want to use a SIO pin, you just need to connect your MOSFET to a IO pin which supports this feature.

What is the gatwe capacitance for the MOSFET you want to use? 20kHz is not such a high frequency, the PSoC might really be able to drive this directly The CY836xx series is specified, even for slow slew rate, to drive a load of 25pF up to a frequency of 7Mhz with the normal GPIOs, and up to 5MHz with a SIO. (Funny that the SIO is slower in this regard, look at the data sheet pages 76 and 79)

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The IRFD113 has 200 pF of input C and Vgson drive of 10V for Rdson rating.

You sure this is device you want, or a logic level FET more appropriate ? Note

in latter you typically have even more Ciss to deal with.

Yes, you can parallel pins to get more drive, there is a limit for the overall port

in the datasheet for allowed C.

Remember to set initial state of pin to keep MOSFET off.

Lastly if you need real low RDSon, and "clean" drive, consider external drivers.

There are parts by many manufacturers that can drive very high C loads. Board

layout critical, high C drive currents with start L give rise to some pretty big transients.

Even some buffers in single gate logic families (cheap stuff, pennies) could be considered.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of your answers!

I will need to drive a fairly significant amount of power, hence the power MOSFET. I have been using the EL7104 with good results (+5V supply).

Dana, you mention the use of logic level transistors. Are there any logic level transistors that can handle currents in excess of 1A (transient pulse of a SMPS, but high nonetheless).

Thanks,

Diode Dan

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Many manufacturers -

TI

NSC

IRF

ON