Exact ADC sample point?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi,

I want to use a PSoC3 to measure the average current through an inductor, which is being driven by a center-aligned PWM from the PSoC. Therefore I need to make sure the sample point of the ADC coincides exactly with the center of the PWM pulse.

Is it enough simply to wire the PWM tc output to the ADC soc input? Does the sample and hold happen on the rising edge of soc?

Many thanks

Hugo Elias  -  Shadow Robot Co Ltd

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

soc – Input *
The Start of Conversion (soc) is an optional pin. It is shown if you have selected to use hardware
to trigger a start of conversion. A rising edge on this pin will start an ADC conversion if the option
is selected. If the Start of Conversion parameter is set to "Software" this I/O will be hidden.
Rising endge on the SOC pin will start a conversion.

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5

> Rising endge on the SOC pin will start a conversion.

Thanks, I understand that. What I want to know is exactly when the input voltage is taken by the track and hold circuit (assuming there is one). This is critically important for rapidly changing signals.

Hugo

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

S&H circuit is able to track acc. to nyquist frequency.

S&H point  is of minor importance, because You try to catch higher frequencies the S&H can withstand.

The result is that You will see things which don't exist in realtime.

robert

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5

No, the exact ADC sample point is critical.

I'm measuring the sawtooth wave caused by current measurement of PWM through a motor. It's critical that the sample point is exactly at the centre of the on pulse, so that the average current can accurately be measured.

Any offset in the time will create an offset in my reading. Any jitter in the time will create noise.

The sample rate will be the same as the PWM frequency, which is fine because I don't need to know the exact shape of the wave.

Hugo

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need sample time at least 2 times the PWM. The only way is to restore full wave and average by software.

Other solution is to use comparator and counter.

regards

robert

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, you could always sample the Sawtooth once at the rising edge of your PWM and once at the falling edge. Then estimate your midpoint sawtooth voltage by linearization.

Imran.

0 Likes
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5

That still doesn't help if I still don't know exactly when the sample happens.

0 Likes