Eagle Cad Library for PSoC 5 Processor Module Board

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if there's any interest, but I've attached a CADSoft Eagle 6.2 library that contains my first version of the PSOC5 Processor Module board.  It's a cad part that can be placed in schematics or on a PCB layout that contains the four 2x16 headers necessary to mate to the PSOC module boards.  The through-hole female headers you'd need on the board can be purchased at Samtec under part number SMS-116-02-S-D.

For prototyping, I'll often use an off-the-shelf processor board (i.e. an MBED module) so I don't have to deal with all the surface mount parts and/or recreate existing circuits.  I couldn't find and eagle part for the processor board, so I created one.

Anyone interested in checking my work?  I believe I have the dimensions and pins correctly done, but it sure would help to have an extra set of eyes.  The samtec through-hole headers are ~0.02 in diameter and I used 0.023 drill holes on the board.

If this is the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll move the post.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes
19 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

The attachement didn't work. I think you need to zip it for the forum software to accept it.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mistake.  Here's the zipped file.

TYIA

Brian

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also considering the idea of making a break-out board for the PSOC 5 module.  It shouldn't be much larger than the module itself, but it would break-out all (or most) of the pins onto a 0.1" headers.

The MBED prototyping system is a good example, but a PSoC 5 would be vastly more versatile.

Brian

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

thanks for that library

It would be great to see your breakout board. Its yet another one of those things on my list of things I would like to accomplish.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking forward for a low cost breakout board for PSoC. Can't wait.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

This will be a breakout for the PSoC processor module (the one from the -001 kit), not a breakout for the PSoC5 itself (when I understand it right).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My idea of a breakout board would be

1. PSOC with power line filters,

2. W/wo crystal,

3. ALL IO pins connected to the DIP connector

4. W/wo a 3.3V LDO regulator and slection of power to the 4 VDD line.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

So you look for something like the ezPSoC3, just for the PSoC5? Actually the processor modules from the -001 kit are like that, just the connectors are a little bit inconvenient...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, an ezPSoC5 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it is better to include footprints for both the 32k and mhz crystal on the board ( with capacitors) as well. Just not fit the compoent if not used.

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Yes, I would include them. They do not take up much room, and they are very useful. To me one of the drawbacks of the FTK is no crystals.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using the 100pin TQFP for your board?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hi all, 

I just soldered up my first breakout board for psoc5. for the 100 pin TQFP. I did not have an extra psoc, so I desoldered the one from my FTK and put on this board.

I did it in Design Spark, happy to share design files, though, I cannot guaratee that anything is correct on it.  There are a few weird aspects of the design, as I was trying to be flexible. I put in two voltage regulators -- so one has the flexibility of running different analog and digital voltages. Also there is a USB connection, and space for both crystals. 

Most, though not all pins are broken out to the edges -- there were some I could not easily route on a 2-layer, and some that need jumpers to get there. Put a couple LED's and switches to some pins not easily broken out. All I have tested so far is that I can program the psoc 5, and that the voltages are stable. VDDIO is fixed to analog on two quadrants, fixed to digital rail on one, and can be any value on the 4th (within spec and from outside source via jumber)

Both programming connectors are on there, but my miniprog did not like the 10 pin connection, though is fine with the 5 pin.

Any suggestions, critisisms, etc are welcome. I did want to make a 4 layer board, possibly more compact, but that was jumping in way too deep.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

4. W/wo a 3.3V LDO regulator and slection of power to the 4 VDD line."

Yeah I agree. most of the time I use my -050 kit but I would love a board with selectable VDDIO levels. It would so usefull when integrating sensor that work at diferent voltaje levels.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks good. 🙂

It seems port 1 is not extented to connector. And I think including the boost circuit would be good as some applicaiton may need to test with single AAA battery.

I would think to have jumper selection of all 4 VDDIOs would be very useful as well.

Good effort.

0 Likes
crcac_264396
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I should go back to jumpering all the VDDIO pins, it really is super useful, on my first board I soldered I ended up having to slice a trace to change one of the ports to 5V! As I vaguely recalled, I left the analog ports tied to the analog voltage as I was planning to use those at 5V since I read the specs to be better at such voltage.

Port 1 is mostly gone to the programming, a couple hard to route traces went to LED's, and there are some that go out to the edges

Boost converter should go back in, I became impatient with the design, and since it was scrapped on the 5, I left it off. I really wanted it operational though. I also was becomeing daunted by the debuggin aspect!

I was consideing making a 4 layer board, a little less motivated now with the freesoc thing, but it would still be useful as I could skip out on the embedded programmer and use the mini prog, esp for things like cap sense tuning.

0 Likes
AiLi_301116
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

Check this web site: RobotSoC.net

0 Likes