Debugging PSOC5 hangs on first press of F10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChVa_3548136
Level 2
Level 2
Welcome!

I have project for the PSoC5 that involves a bootloader that loads the firmware file from an SD card, and I'm having trouble with Debugging.

Yesterday, I started running into an issue, that PSoC creator cannot debug the firmware.  It starts debugging, but once I press F10 or F5, nothing happens; the debug buttons grey out except for the stop button, and the board becomes unresponsive (the firmware doesn't run).  Without the debugging, the firmware runs normally.

I have read that this might be related to system interrupts, but disabling interrupts before hitting F10/F5 has no effect.

Components include an UART for a Rs232 port, USBFS, emFile, Bootloader, and EEPROM.

Chris VanBrederode

0 Likes
1 Solution

I checked the project attached on CY8CKIT-050 in Creator4.2 (641), I was able to enter into the debug mode, but the option to halt the debug was getting grayed out for certain time.

the delay is caused by GDB(GDB, the GNU Project debugger) reading long arrays one element at a time in Local watch window.

Ideally, in Creator there should be option which allows deletion of all watch variables at any stage of debugging. Even if debugger is updating the array at a breakpoint, we should be able to delete the variables from watch window and should be able to proceed without waiting for such a long time. GDB  (Used in Creator), doesn't provide such option presently.

It may require a new Debugger.

Presently, there are no Creator releases  planned providing a fix to this issue.

>>Moving the arrays to another scope (such as global variables) might prevent them from being displayed in the Locals window .

When I did so for variables (that are put in Local watch window), I was able to debug without any issue or delay

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello Chris,

Is your project a bootloadable project.

In the PSoC Creator bootloader system, the bootloader project executes first and

then the bootloadable project. The jump from the bootloader to the bootloadable

project is done through a software controlled device reset; see Appendix A for

details. This resets the debugger interface, which means that the bootloadable

project cannot be run in debugger mode.

To debug a bootloadable project, convert it to Application Type Normal ,

debug it, and then convert it back to Bootloadable after debugging is done. Another

option is to program the Bootloadable project .hex file onto the device and then use

the Attach to running targe option for debugging, while the bootloadable project is

running. In this case, you can debug the bootloadable project only from the point

where debugger is attached to the device.

0 Likes

I'm aware that you cannot directly debug a bootloadable firmware.  But this is the *bootloader* firmware

Even the PWM driving a flashing LED stops.

I ended up taking the code I need to debug, and moving it to a standalone project, and debugging it there.

0 Likes

Is this issue specific to a project , then please attach the project.

If you are experiencing this issue with all the projects in Creator then I will suggest to reinstall the creator

0 Likes

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am4q-0NQZGCDg7x-d-Mboz_GjuZRCA

It is specific to this project.

0 Likes

Can you attach the project using the option "Advanced editor".I am unable to access the project using the link provided

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Here it is.

0 Likes

I checked the project attached on CY8CKIT-050 in Creator4.2 (641), I was able to enter into the debug mode, but the option to halt the debug was getting grayed out for certain time.

the delay is caused by GDB(GDB, the GNU Project debugger) reading long arrays one element at a time in Local watch window.

Ideally, in Creator there should be option which allows deletion of all watch variables at any stage of debugging. Even if debugger is updating the array at a breakpoint, we should be able to delete the variables from watch window and should be able to proceed without waiting for such a long time. GDB  (Used in Creator), doesn't provide such option presently.

It may require a new Debugger.

Presently, there are no Creator releases  planned providing a fix to this issue.

>>Moving the arrays to another scope (such as global variables) might prevent them from being displayed in the Locals window .

When I did so for variables (that are put in Local watch window), I was able to debug without any issue or delay

0 Likes