Can I program one hex file into different type PSoC?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kai
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello

We used CY8C5467AXI-LP108 in our design several years ago. But due to the material shortage, we cannot get CY8C5467AXI-LP108 any more recently.. We want to use CY8C5868AXI-LP035 instead it. 

But when we use  psocProgramer program existing hex file  in to CY8C5868AXI-LP035, it failed and alarmed:

ERROR! -->                                                 | The hex file does not match with the acquired device, please check the device

I understand this was because the hex file was complied for LP108, but now we want to program in to LP035.... so the information not match..

I want to know, is there any way that we can program this hex file in to LP035? so that I don't need 2 hex files for this two chips.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @kai ,

The PSoC Programmer checks the JTAG ID before programming a device. In case of JTAG ID mismatch PSOC Programmer will not allow you to program a different device.

We do not recommend you to use a hex file of one device with another device in production environment. You can recompile the project for the CY8C5868AXI-LP035 device and use the generated hex file. 

Programming a different hex file will void the warranty on the device and in case you face any issues, you would also be not able to avail the related services.

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

kai,

Do you have the original project where the hex file for the CY8C5467AXI-LP108 build?

If so, it may be an easy recompile for the CY8C5868AXI-LP035.  And yes:  It does mean two hex files.

Even if you could change a few bytes inside the hex file to force the CY8C5868AXI-LP035 to be a valid target device you would by default creating a second hex file for this other PSoC5.

In general I don't recommend the target device alteration method I mentioned above.  The primary reason is that there is a reason the target device is first checked before downloading into the target.  Each IC might have different resources available and might have similar resources at different addresses.  That's why it is highly recommended to perform the following steps:

• Copy the original source project to a new project.
  • Change the target device on the new project.
  • Rebuild the new project.
  • Use this version of the hex file.

This guarantees that a successful build will fit into the new target PSoC and make sure the configuration gets compiled and linked to the correct resource addresses.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @kai ,

The PSoC Programmer checks the JTAG ID before programming a device. In case of JTAG ID mismatch PSOC Programmer will not allow you to program a different device.

We do not recommend you to use a hex file of one device with another device in production environment. You can recompile the project for the CY8C5868AXI-LP035 device and use the generated hex file. 

Programming a different hex file will void the warranty on the device and in case you face any issues, you would also be not able to avail the related services.

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

0 Likes