CY8CKIT-050 USB communication and programming at the same time

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am using PSoC5 CY8CKIT-050 for my master thesis project. I use the communication USB port (J2) for UART as well as the on-board USB programming (J1). I keep switching the cables every time I need to re-program the device and this is quite cumbersome not to mention the physical wear of the USB ports.

I wonder if it is safe to have both USB ports connected to the one PC at the same time? Is there any risk of damaging the PC or the board?

Best regards,
Michael

0 Likes
4 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Bemko: The best way would be to to put a Male header on J7 and a Female header on J3. Break the Programmer section from the main board.  That way you could unplug the Programmer section from the main board and then you would be assured that the USB ports would not interfere with each other.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted
        I can recommend another board FreeSoC2 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13229), which has 2 USB ports (for programming and communication) and which can be plugged at the same time.   
0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

AFAIK it is not a problem to have both connected at the same time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bemko

As hli said you can keep both USB port connected in parallel. The related 5V supply lines are connected together (via diodes D1,D2,D7,D8) into the power supply unit. All board voltages are generated from there.

Looking on the schematics (Kit Guide Page 40...) there is a remark to update firmware for "USB backvoltage compliance" (Page 42 Fx2LP Programmer section)

All the Best
Frank

0 Likes