Bootloader Changes to stay away from?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiSt_296941
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

We've just released a product that is field upgradable so it consists of a Bootloader and a single Bootloadable.  It was developed using Creator 4.1.  We are now moving to Creator 4.2 and I notice that cyboot changed and Creator is complaining that the Bootloader project needs updated.  Is this going to cause any issue when we release a new version of the Bootloadable that customers could then try to install on the originally released product (with the original Bootloader)?

I am looking for general guidance on what to allow as far as changes in the Bootloader and what to stay away from.

It's a bit annoying that Creator "pushes" you to change to newer versions of components when you may not want to do that.  I don't see a way of telling it to quit bugging me about updating components for a particular project.

Mike.

0 Likes
1 Solution
JOLO_264146
Level 4
Level 4
First like received Welcome!

Hi Mike,

I checked with a friend that had similar problem. Sometimes, working on the same version of PC, both components change (Bootloader and bootloadable) and the problem appears also. His method to avoid the problem: just generated the Bootloader, he keeps the code generated (hex, elf). When he is making the new code (bootloadable), under "dependencies", he redirect always to those files previously commented. He never updates the "bootloader" component, If he is using a new version of PC, he continues using previous files generated.

The problem that you observe is the reason I don't use the CY system to update my FW. (It's my personal point of view): to depend of the version of a bootloader it's not viable. I've other problems associated with the updating (not related with CY) that it makes me not feasible the CY system

B.R.

Gil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies