Bootloader 3.3 with Application 4.2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shil_1288831
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello,

We have a dual boot project (a project with bootloader and 2 applications) that was built in PSoC Creator 3.3

The bootloader is programed in our factory and the client program the other 2 applications using serial communication.

Afterwards we moved to PSoC Creator 4.2 and build the applications in this environment.

The problem is that the client still have the device programed with the bootloader form 3.3 environment

It is possible to build the application in 4.2 and in the Bootloadable component to link it to the old Bootloader.hex and Bootloader.elf from 3.3 env.

But is it safe to do that? Because the different link change the output application.cyacd file

So is it safe to build application in PSoc Creator 4.2 with bootloader from PSoC Creator 3.3?

And another question,

We compared all the files from environment with Bootloadable component that was linked to bootloader 3.3

and the same environment  with Bootloadable component that was linked to bootloader 4.2

and we noticed that the created object files are changed.

if the change is only the link to the bootloader why does it cause the created object file in the application to change?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello shil_1288831

I tried Bootloading by creating a Bootloader project in PSoC Creator 3.3 and an Bootloadable Application in PSoC Creator 4.2. While creating the Bootloadable application I made sure that I use the same version of the Bootloadable component that was being used in the PSoC Creator 3.3. I added the hex and elf files from the old Bootloader project as dependencies in the Bootloadable component in PSoC Creator 4.2.

The Bootloading happened successfully and my application project was working as expected.

Thus, It is possible to build the application in 4.2 and in the Bootloadable component to link it to the old Bootloader.hex and Bootloader.elf from 3.3 env and this should not cause any issue.

As mentioned by you the .cyacd files in both the cases were not the exact match. But there are a number of factors due to which the contents (data) of the .cyacd file might change, this in turn will change the checksum at the end of each row.

Please refer to the following KBA for more details on the format of .cyacd file: Format of .cyacd File for PSoC® 3 or PSoC 5LP Bootloader - KBA216138

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello shil_1288831

I tried Bootloading by creating a Bootloader project in PSoC Creator 3.3 and an Bootloadable Application in PSoC Creator 4.2. While creating the Bootloadable application I made sure that I use the same version of the Bootloadable component that was being used in the PSoC Creator 3.3. I added the hex and elf files from the old Bootloader project as dependencies in the Bootloadable component in PSoC Creator 4.2.

The Bootloading happened successfully and my application project was working as expected.

Thus, It is possible to build the application in 4.2 and in the Bootloadable component to link it to the old Bootloader.hex and Bootloader.elf from 3.3 env and this should not cause any issue.

As mentioned by you the .cyacd files in both the cases were not the exact match. But there are a number of factors due to which the contents (data) of the .cyacd file might change, this in turn will change the checksum at the end of each row.

Please refer to the following KBA for more details on the format of .cyacd file: Format of .cyacd File for PSoC® 3 or PSoC 5LP Bootloader - KBA216138

Please let me know if this helps.

Best Regards

Ekta

Thanks EktaN.

It was helpful.

0 Likes