Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaHu_285096
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Has anyone here used the 5LP for controlling a Constant current sink circuit using internal op amp and dac.

I am considering the circuit below

COnstant Current Sink.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

DaHu,

/odissey1's Gate_Drive_Tune circuits is creative but may be a bit difficult to tune at run-time when the ambient temperature changes or self-heat thermal effects of the FET occur.

Additionally, the control feedback loop on the Gain_Offset PGA requires constant SW intervention.  Depending on your application for a constant current load, the additional latency may cause some control loop glitches.

Below is a CCL circuit I've used on the PSoC for projects to place a load for battery testing.  It is tuned for 0mA to 100mA.  It is very similar to your FET-based proposal.  Since the feedback signal is connected to '-' input of the opamp, the control loop latency is dependant on the RC of the Rccl_fb_1 and the input capacitance of the PIN_ccl_fb_1 and the propagation delay of the OpAmp_ccl_1.

Carefully changing Rcs_1, Rccl_1 and Rccl_ctl_1 resistor values as well as a power transistor for Qccr_1 it should be possible to change the operational range from 0mA to 4A for your application.

pastedImage_0.png

Here's a current plot of the above circuit where I have commanded the CCL to 18mA for a duration of 1.04 secs.

pastedImage_3.png

Here's another perspective of the FET versus Transistor debate: In linear mode,

• Power dissipation is virtually identical for a FET or Transistor.
  • Transistors have wider linear gain control between cutoff and saturation.  That's why they are still used in Class A and Class AB amplifiers in audio.
  • FET could have a slight edge over transistors with lower effective Rds @ saturation.  This could mean lower Pd when driving the CCL at maximum load.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

5 Replies