debug doesn't identify PSoC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AuKa_4634111
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted

I am having a problem getting Debug to identify the PSOC4 in my project. I am sure I am overlooking something simple despite having designed many, many PSoC projects. I am hoping someone here can trigger an insight as to the problem.

I am using the I am using PSoC Creator 4.3 with a MiniProg3. The processor is CY8C4245AXI-473 both in hardware and in PSoC creator (-483 for the KIT-042). My debug setup is

When I connect the MiniProg3 to a CY8CKIT-042 PSoC4 Pioneer kit with no power applied, it works as expected.

When I connect it to my circuit, it identifies the MiniProg3, but no processor as below

If I open the XRES  line on the PCB (schematic down below) of the SWD interface I get the response below, so the system does seem to recognise the presence of the micro

If I reduce the clock speed to 400kHz in the debug i get the following when I try to "Port Acquire"

Confusingly, if I reduce the clock speed further to 200kHz in the debug i get a different result as follows when I try to "Port Acquire"

These results are the same if I apply external power or self power the MiniProg3. I thought it might be the processor, so I built a second board with just the processor and the 10 pin SWD connector (no capacitors either)- made no difference. I have checked and double checked all the connections and the connectivity of the tracks. I have checked the actual wiring diagram against the wiring of the CY8cKIT-042 and I can't see any mistakes, so I am at a loss.

Below is an aspect of the circuit (the PSoC4 is represented as multiple parts of the symbol (U2) and J3 is the 10 pin SWD programming connector). All the unshown pins are part of a 3rd part of the symbol and are plain I/O pins. I don't believe have any bearing on the issue.

I must be doing something stupid. Can anyone spot it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

moto

Thanks very much for your input. I went back to your suggestion of "Power Cycle". This time I left XRES open circuit. it worked. That meant there was a problem on the XRES line. It turned out that pins 10 (XRES) and 8 of the programming header were shorted on both PCBs that I tried, right underneath the housing and invisible even with a X10 magnifying glass. I HATE hand assembling SMD!

Once again, many thanks for allowing me to work through my problem by asking intelligent questions.

Aubrey

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AuKa_4634111
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted

I inserted drawings in the original post, but they don't appear to be there. It doesn't look like I can cancel or edit, the original file so let me try to insert them now. Aplogies

I am having a problem getting Debug to identify the PSOC4 in my project. I am sure I am overlooking something simple despite having designed many, many PSoC projects. I am hoping someone here can trigger an insight as to the problem.

I am using the I am using PSoC Creator 4.3 with a MiniProg3. The processor is CY8C4245AXI-473 both in hardware and in PSoC creator (-483 for the KIT-042). My debug setup is

fig1.JPG

When I connect the MiniProg3 to a CY8CKIT-042 PSoC4 Pioneer kit with no power applied, it works as expected.

When I connect it to my circuit, it identifies the MiniProg3, but no processor as below

fig2.JPG

If I open the XRES  line on the PCB (schematic down below) of the SWD interface I get the response below, so the system does seem to recognise the presence of the micro

M0.JPG

If I reduce the clock speed to 400kHz in the debug i get the following when I try to "Port Acquire"

0.4MHz.JPG

Confusingly, if I reduce the clock speed further to 200kHz in the debug i get a different result as follows when I try to "Port Acquire"

0.2MHz.JPG

These results are the same if I apply external power or self power the MiniProg3. I thought it might be the processor, so I built a second board with just the processor and the 10 pin SWD connector (no capacitors either)- made no difference. I have checked and double checked all the connections and the connectivity of the tracks. I have checked the actual wiring diagram against the wiring of the CY8cKIT-042 and I can't see any mistakes, so I am at a loss.

Below is an aspect of the circuit (the PSoC4 is represented as multiple parts of the symbol (U2) and J3 is the 10 pin SWD programming connector). All the unshown pins are part of a 3rd part of the symbol and are plain I/O pins. I don't believe have any bearing on the issue.

Schem.JPG

I must me doing something stupid. Can anyone spot it?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

If the PSoC 4 is 44-TQFP device, XRES is pin32.

But I can not see connection between the pin-10 of the 10-pin debug header to pin-32 of PSoC 4.

So may be, if you do one of the below, it may work.

(1) Change the acquire mode to "Power Cycle"

(2) Connect debugger pin-10 to pin-32 of the PSoC 4

moto

0 Likes

Thanks, but pin 32 is connected- as I said the symbol of the PSoC is split. If you look at U2A you’ll see pin 32 connects to pin 10 of the connector. I have also tried the Power Cycle mode without any success.

MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

> Thanks, but pin 32 is connected- as I said the symbol of the PSoC is split.

> If you look at U2A you’ll see pin 32 connects to pin 10 of the connector.

Oh,  I see. I'm sorry, I'm a little bit slow to understand.

Then to me the circuit seems to be sound.

(The 10 pin connector seems to be flipped horizontally, but as far as you are seeing the Cortex-M0 from the debugger, it must be fine.)

I would try the followings then (in case if you have not tried)

(1) Check the voltage at VCCD, it must be 1.8 +/- 5%

(2) Download and install the newest PSoC Programmer (it includes some device db, too)

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-programmer-archive

(3) Download and refer to AN88619 (PSoC 4 Hardware Design Considerations)

Appendix C. Schematic Checklist may have some hints.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an88619-psoc-4-hardware-design-consideration...

moto

moto

Thanks very much for your input. I went back to your suggestion of "Power Cycle". This time I left XRES open circuit. it worked. That meant there was a problem on the XRES line. It turned out that pins 10 (XRES) and 8 of the programming header were shorted on both PCBs that I tried, right underneath the housing and invisible even with a X10 magnifying glass. I HATE hand assembling SMD!

Once again, many thanks for allowing me to work through my problem by asking intelligent questions.

Aubrey