cy8ckit-148 re-flashing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
massimo-manca
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

Hello, I am testing a new design based on MagSense using a CY8CKIT-148 evaluation board. At the beginning everything was working but to use the tuner sw I had to update the firmware of the debug interface MCU on board. I updated it following the kit instructions apparently with success. After that I was not able anymore to program and debug the on board PSoC 4 MCU.

And I am not also able to update/program the on board firmware (I mean that of the hw debug interface MCU).

How can I re-flash that MCU?

Thanks,
Massimo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

I just discovered KIT-148 Kitprog2 can be upgraded to Kitprog3 (detailed in Kitprog3 user guide).

I suggest you take a look at Kitprog3 Guide.  There's a section describing how to revert back to Kitprog2 if you want to.
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/kitprog-user-guide

So maybe Kitprog3 will be okay to use, if you can get control of PSoC FLASH programming.

BTW, the Kitprog2.hex and Kitprog2_1.cyacd files are in the Cypress/Programmer...  Cypress keeps changing the path.  These files are also in the KIT-148 installation folder.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

You may have accidently put Kitprog2 into Mass Storage Programming mode.  Download Kitprog2 Guide and read section on Mass Storage Programming mode.  This will tell you how to change Kitprog2 back to normal Programming and Debugger mode.
KitProg2 User Guide (cypress.com)

0 Likes
massimo-manca
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help. I was able to re-flash the board following the procedure you suggested. Unfortunately after that is still not working as a debugger. After updating the PSoC programmer identifies the board as a KitProg3 (CMSIS-DAP/BULK/1F1C85401137400) but trying to connect it returns: Failed Connect to at 11:49:10 Can't Opem CMSIS-DAP port. I checked there is a KitProg3 composite USB device made of KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP, KitProg3 USB-UART (COM21) and a WinUsb Device. Also opening PSoC Creator 4.4 it is not able to find/connect the board and returns the following warning: Warning: Can't Open CMSIS-DAP port

I tryed to remove and then re-install the PSoC Programmer but nothing changed.

Everything is running on a Win7 PC.

Any other suggestion?

0 Likes

May be I need to re-flash the board using an external programmer but I need a hex file to program and I did not find any hex file in the Cypress folder and sub folders.

0 Likes

Hello.

Kitprog2 has a bootloader.  You can restore the original factory installed image by following the instructions in Kitprog2 Guide, section 10.2.1.1.  In PSoC Programmer s/w, you should see the message Kitprog2 bootloader devices are detected when successfully in Kitprog2 bootloader mode.  If PSoC Programmer s/w installs Kitprog3 image, then something is wrong.

Next, you'll have to update the image for the tuner capability.  This update should not have installed an image for Kitprog3.  If that's what the update does, something is wrong.

Is it possible the tuner function is only available with Kitprog3?

I suspect you already went through this process originally and that's how Kitprog3 image got installed onto Kitprog2.  That is very weird!

What is the version number for PSoC Programmer s/w?

0 Likes

The PSoC programmer asked me to update it, so yes, I already updated it also if following a (little) different procedure and it become a Kitprog3. Before the update, originally, it was detected as a Kitprog2 and also installed more and different USB drivers.

I think Tuner was not available for Kitprog2 because it asked to update the firmware to use it.

If I connect the board pressing the MODE pushbutton the PSoC Programmer detects the board in bootloader mode as KitProg2/KitProg3, it does not specify the right model. Should be interesting to know what file is programmed selecting "upgrade firmware", may be that changing that file I could be able to go back to the original situation.

it is the PSoC Programmer rel. 3.29.0

Thanks

0 Likes

Hello.

I just discovered KIT-148 Kitprog2 can be upgraded to Kitprog3 (detailed in Kitprog3 user guide).

I suggest you take a look at Kitprog3 Guide.  There's a section describing how to revert back to Kitprog2 if you want to.
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/kitprog-user-guide

So maybe Kitprog3 will be okay to use, if you can get control of PSoC FLASH programming.

BTW, the Kitprog2.hex and Kitprog2_1.cyacd files are in the Cypress/Programmer...  Cypress keeps changing the path.  These files are also in the KIT-148 installation folder.

0 Likes
massimo-manca
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your valuable help, I ordered a MiniProg4 to re-flash the board, it should solve the problem.

0 Likes

Glad to help.

One more thought:
If you are using the alternate SWD GPIO feature (disable Debug) on PSoC 4 target processor, you can not re-program PSoC 4 with Kitprog (as-is).  This is mentioned in KIT-148 Guide.  And,  Miniprog4 will also have issue with this.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Well, I was just starting to use the kit. First of all I tested it worked just after I finished to install it and update to PSoC Creator 4.4 then I built and programmed an example application to test and use the Tuner and as you already know at that point I had the problem to update the debugger firmware on the board (PSoC 5). I did not make any modification to the board. My goal is quickly check some different PCB "antennas" ( I bought also the COIL kit) connected to the board with wires because in my application I can not put all the antennas on the same PCB, there are 8 antennas each about 20 to 40 cm far from the MCU board and I do not plan to disable SWD on the kit board. After that I would like to test the complete application with the kit and then make the first batch of prototypes MCU boards and antennas.

The project itself is not so big or complex, I have to signal to the main MCU when an object is removed or turned and I have to monitor 8 to 16 objects so probably I need more time to setup the development kit then to design the application. Just to don't loose time at the moment I am devloping the communication part and testing it with another board based on a similar PSoC 4 MCU so anyway the situation is not so bad.

0 Likes