cant open cmsis DAP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
saurabh
Level 3
Level 3
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to program CY8c 4245AXI-483 mcu. The MCU was successfully programmed using the sample code only during the first time. Since then, the mcu is serving the initially dumped program. I am unable to program the mcu and getting the error "Can't open CMSIS DAP". I suspect that in the sample code SWD DEBUG pins were not initialized. Could that be the reason for my issue? Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @saurabh ,

Apologies for the delay. I was able to reproduce your issue. When the Debug Select is set GPIO, the programmers like MiniProg4 use a special acquisition sequence to enter the test code. 

The problem was due to a specific CMSIS-DAP vendor command implementation that sets the acquire timeout. Due to this, the acquisition timeout was incorrectly estimated for Power Cycle mode during the consecutive attempts at programming. This is why it works the first time and fails thereafter. 

Anyways, here's what you can do to get everything working. Download the latest firmware loader tool (fw-loader-3.2.0.1003-windows.zip) from here

Extract it anywhere in your local system.

DheerajK_81_0-1621521047883.png
Navigate to the bin folder and open the command prompt as shown below and run the following command:

fw-loader.exe --update-kp3

Make sure you have connected your MiniProg4. You should see the upgrade completing successfully.

DheerajK_81_1-1621521255131.png

Once the firmware upgrade is complete, you can now open PSoC Programmer and try programming your device using MiniProg4 in Power Cycle mode. It should work without any issues.

Let me know your observations 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DheerajK_81

Hello @saurabh ,

Can you please let me know which debugger you are using? Please check the SWD pin connections. You can find this information in Section 3.5 Physical Layer in the Programming Spec

Can you try programming using PSoC Programmer? Please share the screenshot of the tool and console log so that we can get more information about why it is failing. 

You mentioned you used some sample code, can you specify which code example you are referring to?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Dheeraj

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi @DheerajK_81 ,

I am using the MiniProg4 programmer. The sample code is "CE210291_CapSense_P4_One_Button01". I have attached the PSoC programmer screenshot before and after programming. When device connection succeeds, supply voltage remains stable (3.3v) but after programming failure, the supply voltage becomes 0mV.

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @saurabh ,

Apologies for the delay. I was able to reproduce your issue. When the Debug Select is set GPIO, the programmers like MiniProg4 use a special acquisition sequence to enter the test code. 

The problem was due to a specific CMSIS-DAP vendor command implementation that sets the acquire timeout. Due to this, the acquisition timeout was incorrectly estimated for Power Cycle mode during the consecutive attempts at programming. This is why it works the first time and fails thereafter. 

Anyways, here's what you can do to get everything working. Download the latest firmware loader tool (fw-loader-3.2.0.1003-windows.zip) from here

Extract it anywhere in your local system.

DheerajK_81_0-1621521047883.png
Navigate to the bin folder and open the command prompt as shown below and run the following command:

fw-loader.exe --update-kp3

Make sure you have connected your MiniProg4. You should see the upgrade completing successfully.

DheerajK_81_1-1621521255131.png

Once the firmware upgrade is complete, you can now open PSoC Programmer and try programming your device using MiniProg4 in Power Cycle mode. It should work without any issues.

Let me know your observations 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes