Which UART component to use?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am using a PSoC BLE Pioneer Kit to interface the PSoC 4 BLE with a 4D Systems uLCD-32PT display which communicates to host microcontrollers using TX and RX pins. I've figured out that I have to use a UART component in PSoC Creator. But Creator has two UART component blocks - UART (SCB Mode) and UART. I'm confused about which one I should be using.

Basically, the steps that I have to follow are writing sequences of bytes (that correspond to certain commands such as "Set Font" or "Set Font Color") of data to the display.

The sequence that I have to send - 0x55, 0x46, 0x03, 0x59, 0x04, 0x02, 0x54, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF.

Which UART component would be appropriate here?

I've attached the datasheet of the LCD display and also the commands database.

Thanks and regards,

Ganesh

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Differences between SCB and UDB implementation

SCB

Dedicated IO-pins

Deeper FIFO

UDB

Free routing of IO-Pins, but no use of port4 and greater

Smaller (4 byte)  FIFO

I would suggest you to

Use the SCB module when restrictions are alright. The UDB block is quite more versatile and you can use that even for self-made components (after a lot of reading the appropriate manuals)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob, in case of UDB UART, will I be able to send and receive data via a hyperterminal such as PuTTY?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Both UARTs can use the USB-UART bridge to display / read from PuTTY. Have a look into your kit's schematic to see which pins you have to connect.

Bob

0 Likes