What profile should I select for the BLE module?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DhDa_2432241
Level 5
Level 5
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello, 

I am referring to the 100_Projects_In_100_Days( but only 52 in the git repository! ). Both dynamic broadcaster(project 9) and eddybeacon(project 50) broadcasts data continuously. 

Which one would be a correct fit for my project?

My requirements:
1. The BLE module should Transmit/Receive data to/from other BLE modules. Exchanged data would be long strings(URLs)
2. All the modules will be in listening state and upon a random event, the modules will start transmitting the data. Since the event is randomly generated in the BLE modules, some BLE devices will end in transmitting state and some will end up in listening state. 
3. The transmitted data should be in Ibeacon or Eddystone format. 
4. Interrupts should work. 
5. UART communication between an external embedded host should work. 

My hardware:
CYBLE-012011 as a standalone device connected via UART to an external embedded host(Arduino)

What I did so far:
1. I got the eddyStone project to send beacons from my BLE
2. I got the dynamic broadcaster project to send the desired data from my BLE

However, with the eddyStone project I was not able to trigger other interrupts. (My post in here).

So I switched to the dynamic broadcaster project. Now I was able to trigger other interrupts and get the UART to work, as well as send BLE data. 

Thanks
Dheeraj

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to either: Pick the Custom profile, or just pick the observer profile. You will need to dynamically switch between the observer and broadcaster profiles using code/API commands running in software, as the component configuration will not allow you to setup what you are wanting to do.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your referenced post from before is unanswered, but it sounds like you are having trouble with the software-side of things;

Imho, either example project should work for your requirements; it comes down to which is easier to implement for you.

0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I will go with EddyStone as I need to send beacons in that format. I see that there is no broadcaster and observer option under GAP role. What option should I choose if I want my device to act as most of the time observer except interrupted by an external host which then changes the BLE to act as a transmitter?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to either: Pick the Custom profile, or just pick the observer profile. You will need to dynamically switch between the observer and broadcaster profiles using code/API commands running in software, as the component configuration will not allow you to setup what you are wanting to do.

Got it. Are there any examples to get started? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This example should help you out with getting started switching roles dynamically: http://www.cypress.com/blog/100-projects-100-days/project-007-ble-peripheral-and-broadcaster-changin...

Thanks. I have few questions I will start a new thread. 

0 Likes