Watchdog with low power mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MoSa_4781276
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi there,

I am using cyble214015-01.

In my application, I am using watchdog timers 0 & 1 as deep sleep timers for application purposes.

And I want to use watchdog time 2 as a watchdog (to cause a reset every 4 sec if the app gets stuck).

I know that wtd2 can't cause a reset but I'm ok for now to force a software reset in the interrupt handler for wdt2.

I'm also using the low power modes as described in the following document "001-92584_AN92584_Designing_for_Low_Power_and_Estimating_Battery_Life_for_BLE_Applications"

the problem I'm facing is when I go to deep sleep while the watchdog is initialized, the watchdog is always firing. So, I tried to disable and enable the watchdog every time I went to sleep/deep sleep mode but the watchdog continues to fire. Can anyone tell me the reason for this and what is the solution to this issue?

the project is attached below.

regards,

Mohanad

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Mohanad,

In your project you have the following flow:

1. Make settings for the WDT and enable it by calling the wdt_init function in the main().

2. Everytime the wdt interrupt is triggered you are calling the CySoftwareReset function.

The reset function will cause the execution to start again from main.c where again step 1 is executed and the wdt  is enabled again. Can you comment  the software reset function and see if you see the same issue?

How are you confirming that the device has entered deep sleep/ sleep?

I am attaching  a simple wdt project where I have disabled the wdt after the first interrupt and it works as expected.

Can you please run that project on your kit and see if the issue exits?

Best Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lock attach
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Mohanad,

In your project you have the following flow:

1. Make settings for the WDT and enable it by calling the wdt_init function in the main().

2. Everytime the wdt interrupt is triggered you are calling the CySoftwareReset function.

The reset function will cause the execution to start again from main.c where again step 1 is executed and the wdt  is enabled again. Can you comment  the software reset function and see if you see the same issue?

How are you confirming that the device has entered deep sleep/ sleep?

I am attaching  a simple wdt project where I have disabled the wdt after the first interrupt and it works as expected.

Can you please run that project on your kit and see if the issue exits?

Best Regards

Ekta

MoSa_4781276
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hi there, 

I tried the example and it worked. but the thing is I need to refresh the WDT in the main loop but the thing is the WDT interrupt fires 

0 Likes