Video lesson discrepancy ??

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoRo_4142061
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello,

I have redone this lesson countless times and I don't know what I am doing wrong??? It seems there is a discrepancy in lesson 2 of the PSoC creator video.

This discrepancy further makes the results of the workspace erroneous and thus can't really continue the lesson!

Please view video of the 1st anomaly by clicking link below!

https://we.tl/t-MGE8P5lrNH

Also, when the video goes to drag the Digital Input Pin onto the workspace, the pin is V2.10 in the video, but mine is V2.20???? I don't know if there is a version issue thats causing things to be different in the components catalog???

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @RoRo_4142061,

> The digital input pin version used in the tutorial is [v.2.10] and the version used by you is [v2.20]. You can observe the changes due to the version difference. The change has been recorded in the digital input pin [v2.20] component's datasheet. Double click on the digital input pin [v2.20] component present in the schematic, and when the Pin Configuration window opens, click on the "datasheet" button.

ncbs_3-1619793589051.png

ncbs_2-1619793181944.png

Figure: Component changes (Page 45 of 48 in digital input pin [v2.20] component's datasheet)

Sidenote: You can always use different versions of the same component by clicking on the show all versions icon shown below:

ncbs_0-1619793821061.png

> You observe the difference in the colour scheme as PSoC Creator v3.2 was used in the tutorial. You may refer to the colour schemes followed for the latest PSoC Creator v4.4 in the "Pin colouring and style" section of PSoC Creator User Guide

ncbs_1-1619794123706.png

Regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
ncbs

Hi @RoRo_4142061,

> the video link doesn't seem to work. Are you referring to this: https://youtu.be/nlBLBT1UMUk ?

If so, then elaborate on the issue you are facing.

> you have the latest version of the component, and it recommended to use the same.

Regards,
ncbs

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
RoRo_4142061
Level 2
Level 2

Yes thats the video!  Exactly at around 5:07/5:09 when he unchecks the "HW connection" box the video shows the image attached "VIDEO_at_5_09". But when I uncheck the "HW connection" box I get a different result, see the image attached "Me_at_5_09" ????

Then from there on things aren't the same as I follow the video further?????

For example if I continue following the video, when I go into the pin assignment and

assign that pin to PO(7), the pin in the video turns yellow where as mine turns blue??

Something in the video is definitely different than the PSoC creator software I am using??

Very discouraging!

r

0 Likes
ncbs

Hi @RoRo_4142061,

> The digital input pin version used in the tutorial is [v.2.10] and the version used by you is [v2.20]. You can observe the changes due to the version difference. The change has been recorded in the digital input pin [v2.20] component's datasheet. Double click on the digital input pin [v2.20] component present in the schematic, and when the Pin Configuration window opens, click on the "datasheet" button.

ncbs_3-1619793589051.png

ncbs_2-1619793181944.png

Figure: Component changes (Page 45 of 48 in digital input pin [v2.20] component's datasheet)

Sidenote: You can always use different versions of the same component by clicking on the show all versions icon shown below:

ncbs_0-1619793821061.png

> You observe the difference in the colour scheme as PSoC Creator v3.2 was used in the tutorial. You may refer to the colour schemes followed for the latest PSoC Creator v4.4 in the "Pin colouring and style" section of PSoC Creator User Guide

ncbs_1-1619794123706.png

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

RoRo,

I've downloaded your video and have reproduced this discrepancy you pointed out.

Yes.  The issue you are detailing IS because you are using the cy_pins V2.20 and the video is using cy_pins V2.10.

I reproduce your results when I downgraded my cy_pins component down to V2.10.

However, this is NOT an issue.   It is only a visual (GUI) difference.  It makes ABSOLUTELY no difference to the operation of this pin in this mode.

When Cypress creates a new version of a component, they try to be as backwards compatible to the early versions as possible.  The newer versions may add features and/or make GUI interface improvements during the configuration process.   In this case in V2.20, the "buffer" GUI element was entirely eliminated when the "HW connection" was unchecked.  In V2.10, the "buffer" GUI component was left in but the output trace GUI element was eliminated.  No underlaying functional difference.

The important issue is does the pin do what you need it to do?   If yes.  then there is no problem.  If no, this needs to be looked at.

Note: It would be costly in time to update the video.   Since Cypress does a reasonably good job in backwards compatibility, there is only a minimal impetuous to do so.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
RoRo_4142061
Level 2
Level 2

Hi ,

Thanks for clearing things up for me!

The example works so I am very satisfied!

r

0 Likes