Using KitProg2 included in CY8CKIT-145-40XX PSoC 4 S-Series Prototyping Kit Guide to program another chip

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to use the KitProg2 included in the CY8CKIT-145-40XX PSoC 4 S-Series Prototyping Kit to program a CY8CMBR3106s.  I have a board set up very similar to the example schematic in the 3106s datasheet.  I have been unable to recognize the 3106s as an I2C device when I use EZ-Click or PSoC Creator.  Do I need to attach external pull up resistors on the I2C lines, or are these lines pulled up internally on the KitProg2?  Figure 3-2 in the CY8CKIT-145-40XX PSoC 4 S-Series Prototyping Kit Guide seems to suggest that the programmer has internal pull up resistors already.

psoc4000sblockdiag.PNG

Thanks,

John

1 Solution

Hello John,

I understand what you have trouble.

First, I reviewed the KitProg2 schematic and mount state for I2C pull up which is separated from CY8CKIT-145. The pull up resistors are designed in the schematic and also mounted in the kit, as I attach the pictures.

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_1.png

Please check again, your I2C lines are connected rightly.

- I2C_SCL (J1 pin4) to KitProg header 12.0 pin (Green mark)

- I2C_SDA (J1 pin5) to KitProg header 12.1 pin (Yellow mark)

Thanks,

Brandon

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to this, here is a schematic of the board I am currently working with.

mbr3106s_schematic.PNG

0 Likes

Hi John,

The CY8CMBR3106S device(MBR3 series) is the register configurable type that it cannot support FW programming. It can change the parameters through EZ-Click program. I think it works in EZ-Click program through KitProg2.

If you want to use programmable IC, please use CY8C4xxx(PSoC4) device.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

I realize that the device is register configurable and not programmable, however my problem is that EZ-Click is not able to recognize it through I2C communication.  I was wondering if the KitProg2 has internal pull up resistors on the I2C bus as the picture above suggests.  The documentation for the KitProg2 and the prototyping kit that I obtained it from is inconsistent with its depiction of I2C communication; sometimes it shows pull up resistors, and sometimes it does not.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes

Hello John,

I understand what you have trouble.

First, I reviewed the KitProg2 schematic and mount state for I2C pull up which is separated from CY8CKIT-145. The pull up resistors are designed in the schematic and also mounted in the kit, as I attach the pictures.

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_1.png

Please check again, your I2C lines are connected rightly.

- I2C_SCL (J1 pin4) to KitProg header 12.0 pin (Green mark)

- I2C_SDA (J1 pin5) to KitProg header 12.1 pin (Yellow mark)

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the answer Brandon.

0 Likes