Targeting the CY8C4245PVI-482 or CY8C4245PVA-482Z or CY8C4245PVS-482Z

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
DRairigh
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I am releasing a new board to production. My prototype work was done with a CY8C4245PVI-482, but my first production build is going to use CY8C4245PVA-482Z and future builds after that will likely use the CY8C4245PVI-482 or CY8C4245PVS-482Z (IC shortages are so much fun 🙂 )

I was surprised when I tried to program my first CY8C4245PVA-482Z and the PSoC programmer gave me a "hex file does not match with the acquired device" error (see attached screenshot).  The IDE will program the new part just fine, but the PSoC Programmer 3.29.1 tool will not.

How can I build a HEX file that will work for all 3 targets? 

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Daniel, 

PSoC Creator natively does not support building the project for 2 devices simultaneously. But you could try creating a script to build the project using CyPrjMgr Command Line Tool. The script should do the following - 

1. Build the project for the target device 1.

2. Copy the built hex file and place it in a separate folder. 

3. Build the project for the target device 2. 

Please let us know if this works for you. Refer to  CyPrjMgr Command Line Tool section (page 369) in the PSoC Creator User Guide for details regarding CyPrjMgr tool.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi @DRairigh 

The PSoC Programmer checks the JTAG ID before programming a device while this is not checked in PSoC Creator (to allow prototyping). In case of JTAG ID mismatch PSOC Programmer will not allow you to program a different device.

We do not recommend you to use a hex file of one device with another device in production environment. You can recompile the project for the CY8C4245PVA-482Z device and use the generated hex file. 

Programming a different hex file will void the warranty on the device and in case you face any issues, you would also be not able to avail the related services.

Thanks and Regards

Ekta

0 Likes
DRairigh
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Thank you for the clarification. 

A follow-on question then: Is there a way to setup my project to compile two hex files? One for each device . Having to manually switch back and forth between targets is a little bit error prone (I am likely to forget that I changed a line of code for one target and not the other).

Thank you again.

Daniel

0 Likes
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Daniel, 

PSoC Creator natively does not support building the project for 2 devices simultaneously. But you could try creating a script to build the project using CyPrjMgr Command Line Tool. The script should do the following - 

1. Build the project for the target device 1.

2. Copy the built hex file and place it in a separate folder. 

3. Build the project for the target device 2. 

Please let us know if this works for you. Refer to  CyPrjMgr Command Line Tool section (page 369) in the PSoC Creator User Guide for details regarding CyPrjMgr tool.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes