Simple Beginner's first project (blinking LED)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using the PSoC 4200 BLE CY8C4247LQ*-BL483 kit to run the Red LED blinking project that's discussed in the first training video "Software Output Pins".

Here are the steps I did in Creator 4.0:

1.  Wrote the exact code in main.c

2.  Connected Pin_Blue, Pin_Green, Pin_Red to P0[1], P0[2], P3[5], respectively (in Trial.cydwr - Trial being project name).

3.  Unchecked the HW Connection box in all 3 Digital output pins.  The odd part about this was that in the training video, the input arrow is still attached to the box representing the output LED (while the box representing the hardware disappears)...but in mine, both the hardware box and arrow disappear, making me wonder if my LED's are still being treated as output (in TopDesign.cysch).

4.  Confirmed device was successfully programmed.

I programmed the BLE Pioneer Baseboard using the PSoC Programmer 3.25.0.

Everything I have done is "straight out of the textbook".   Furthermore, I verified that my boards were not busted/corrupt by switching out the PSoC 4200 BLE with one that my dad had been using (with code he wrote for a blinking LED about 2 years ago) and it worked fine.  My board does not.

Aside from programming the board in PP 3.25.0 and setting up Creator correctly, did I miss any preliminary steps?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Anthony well your program had some issue.  The pins you must select are P3(6) and P3(7) and P2(6) that is why you where not getting the LED to light.  When you are using the on board components you must reference the schematic for the Pioneer board to insure that your pins are connected to the correct component in this case the LED module on the Pioneer board. I have modified the program and added the green and blue led drives. I am sending you back your program to study in a zip file.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Please post your complete code so we can check it.

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I don't know what else to post.  Take a look at the .jpeg files I added (particularly main.c).  Let me know what other information would you need so I can post it.  

I also added a .jpeg of the "Configure 'cy_pins'" dialog box.  Notice how when 'HW Connection' is unchecked, the green arrow going to the LED pin in the bottom left box disappears.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Can you please post your complete project, so that we all can have a look at all of your settings. To do so, use
Creator->File->Create Workspace Bundle (minimal)
and attach the resulting file.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah...gotcha.  Here you go.

0 Likes
lock attach
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Anthony well your program had some issue.  The pins you must select are P3(6) and P3(7) and P2(6) that is why you where not getting the LED to light.  When you are using the on board components you must reference the schematic for the Pioneer board to insure that your pins are connected to the correct component in this case the LED module on the Pioneer board. I have modified the program and added the green and blue led drives. I am sending you back your program to study in a zip file.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are designing for a different (BLE) kit now. When (as I guess) you are using the CY8CKIT-043-BLE kit the connections for the LEDs are now

Red P2_6

Green P3_6

Blue P3_7

All LEDs are active low.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I definitely should have referenced the schematic beforehand!  I figured Creator would have given a warning flag if it recognized placing outputted components on pins that did not support that type of behavior (given the whole "green light - this is a valid placement" message in .cydwr).

It works like a charm now...thank you both for your responses.

- Anthony

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You are always welcome, Anthony.

Bob

0 Likes