Set mac address (static from chip or random static address)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We want use some ProC module but in few quantity, and whitout having to programm MAC adress for each device (and whitout buying a set from IEEE if possible).

Reading a MAC address from an EEPROM  chip with 48 bits embeeded EUI, and set it the first run is a good way to do it ? ( with CyBle_SetDeviceAddress())

Or can we just use a random static address ( generated at the first run / can be changed if the user want it by pressing a button for exemple), i am not sure for this one ,because nobody seems to use it...

Im afraid of some compatibility problem with phones for exemple .

Thanks in advance for your answers.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Each Cypress PSoC or PRoC chip has got an internal unique ID which you can retrieve with CyGetUniqueID() API. See "System Reference Guides from Creator help menu)

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, it's for products that we want to sell , so the bluetooth device address have to be unique (at least the 24 bits Organization Unique Identifier) and purchased from IEEE. If i understand correctly.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a question better asked to a direct cypress employee to ensure following the rules.

Still, I believe they mention that you are at least free to use their ID numbers/values for development purposes at the very least.

The bluetooth address can use the Cypress OUI with the "Silicon generated 'Company Assigned' part of device address".

0 Likes