Sensorless FOC using PSoC 4-For High Voltage and High Power motors

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I am using a PSoC 4 pioneer kit to Run high voltage and high power motor. I designed a custom control board for high power MOSFETs. I am following the guidelines mentioned in Appendix E of PSoC® 4 Sensorless Field-Oriented Control (FOC) -AN93637 to adapt to different motors.

I modified the Original Code from CY8CKIT-037 Motor Control EVK as per the recommendations but motor does not enter closed operation.

Could you please provide more details about tuning procedure for Sliding Mode Observer (SMO), PID tuning (if needed), Start up related parameters etc.

Thanks,

Aditya

0 Likes
7 Replies
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi Aditya,

I believe you have set the parameters correctly as per Appendix E. Please try debugging the system and check the error status. If the issue is over-voltage/current, modify the parameters accordingly.

Jobin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jobin,

Thanks for your reply. I confirmed that the problem is not related to Over-Voltage/ Current.

Thanks,

Aditya

0 Likes
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee

Hi Aditya,

Are you able to debug and figure out upto which stage the code reached.
Like orientation, start up stages, normal run etc...
Is there a jerk movement in the beginning [orientation stage]?

Jobin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jobin,

Motor successfully rotates till the end of open loop acceleration and  I see clean sine wave currents on all the three phases. 

Motor stops rotating (Rotor tries to go back and forth) when code transitions from OPENLOOP to SPEEDLOOP. I tried to disable SPEEDLOOP, and in this case motor continues to remain in open loop and rotates at the RPM reached at the end of Open loop acceleration. Start-up parameters are not explicitly defined in the code, I could only find parameters such as rampup, vqref. etc. 

It would be really helpful if you can provide detailed tuning guide covering start-up, transition from open loop to closed loop, SMO and PI control loops for speed and current.

Thanks,

Aditya

0 Likes
JobinT_31
Employee
Employee

Hi Aditya,

Similar condition is mentioned in the Appendix E [5.a]
## If switching to the closed loop control fails 

i. Confirm that the motor parameters are set correctly in step 2.a.
ii. Change the smoEst.slideError parameter to a larger value. When the value of this variable is larger, it is easier to switch to closed loop however the rotor angle calculation is less accurate

Have you tried the above suggestion.

Jobin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jobin,

1. I made sure all the motor parameters are set correctly.

2. I did try to change smoEst.slideError parameter to larger values , (1, 2, 10, 20 etc) but did not see any improvements.

Thanks,

Aditya

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Aditya, I am also looking to control high voltage motors using this PSOC4 pioneer kit. if you would like to contact me, maybe we can help each other

kind regards, John

0 Likes