SWDCLK and SCB0_SCLK on different pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jay_aechh
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

It says in PSoC Creator 4.4 under [Design Wide Resources > System] that

"Controls whether or not to reserve pins for debugging. If SWD is selected, the debugging features of the chip will be externally accessible. If GPIO is selected the pins are available for general purpose use. When set to GPIO the device can still be acquired with SWD, and reprogrammed, but not for debugging."

Does this mean that I can still program my CYBLE-214015-01 module with the P0[7] and P0[6] and subsequently use the SCB as SPI on these pins?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Jay.

Thank you for providing more information about your setup.  This changes everything!

I assumed you were using a stand-alone Kitprog from KIT-059 or KIT-043.  So, ignore my comment to remove diode D1.

You have connected Kitprog SWD on CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A correctly to your module CYBLE-214015-01.  Please check that SWD wires are not longer than 5cm, at most 10cm.  SWD does not operate reliably with long wires.

Also check if you have 3V-3.3V on CYBLE-214015-01.  When using PsoC Programmer, Kitprog reports the Vtarg voltage and at the moment, CYBLE-214015-01 is not showing any voltage.

Looking at schematic for module that comes with CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, it looks like Vref needs a 1uF capacitor to ground.  Maybe your module CYBLE-214015-01 also needs a 1uF capacitor.

edit: Since you can program the module that came with CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, connect that module to CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, open PSoC Programmer, and observe if PSoC Programmer reports the Vtarg voltage.  Let us know what you see.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @jay_aechh

Yes, your understanding is correct. If you select GPIO and repurpose your SWD pins you will not be able to debug the device but you will still be able to program your device.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
jay_aechh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rakshith,

I'm trying to program my standalone CYBLE-214015-01 module and I've connected:
- VDD, VDDR, VDDA to 3.3V and VDDD on the baseboard
- GND to GND on the baseboard
- XRES to XRES on the baseboard
- SWD pins P0[6] SWDIO and P0[7] SWDCLK to the P0[6] SWDIO and P0[7] SWDCLK pins on the baseboard

jay_aechh_1-1624273596703.png

However, I am unable to detect the module in PSoC Creator 4.4 nor program it using PSoC Programmer 3.

jay_aechh_2-1624273652416.pngjay_aechh_3-1624273714795.png

Am I missing out any other connection here?

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @jay_aechh

Can you please confirm if you are able to program the device without repurposing the SWD pins? Also can you please share the schematic of your custom board? 

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
jay_aechh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rakshith,

No it doesn't even detect the module so I cant program it without repurposing the SWD pins.

I just soldered wires onto the pads on the CYBLE-214015-01 module and I've connected them to header J11 on the baseboard:
- [VDD, VDDR, VDDA] to [3.3V and VDDD on the baseboard]
- [GND] to [GND on the baseboard]
- [XRES] to [XRES on the baseboard]
- [SWD pins P0[6] SWDIO and P0[7] SWDCLK] to the [P0[6] SWDIO and P0[7] SWDCLK pins] on the baseboard

0 Likes
Rakshith

Hi @jay_aechh

I believe my question was not clear in my previous post. Can you please let me know if you were able to ever program the device or connect to the device?

Also, when you power the device can you please check and let us know the voltage on the VCCD pin.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi @Rakshith 

No I have yet to be able to program nor connect to the device.

The voltage on the VDD, VDDA and VDDR pins are 3.3V.

Here is the schematic:

jay_aechh_0-1625114936146.png

Do I have to supply 3.3V to VREF as well?

0 Likes

Hello.

You mentioned connecting CYBLE-214015-01 module to a header J11 on a baseband board.

Please give detail of which baseband board you are using.

The Kitprog programmer sources 5V on its Vtarg pin.  In order to use a target with 3.3V, you need to remove diode D1 from Kitprog pcb.  Continue to connect Kitprog Vtarg to target Vddd because Kitprog will measure Vddd voltage and it is displayed on Programmer window.

From the screen shots, Vddd is not showing, therefore something is not being powered on baseband board.

Also, I suspect Kitprog is in CMSIS DAP mode, not programmer mode (based on screen shots).  Is Kitprog status LED ON or is it OFF?  In programmer mode, the LED is solid ON, not blinking.  In CMSIS DAP mode, the LED if solid OFF.  To change modes, hold Kitprog SW1 for at least 5 seconds while plugged into USB.  The LED will change when the mode changes.  Then, release SW1.

Is there a jumper on baseband board that needs to be changed for Kitprog to communicate with module SWD instead of baseband board SWD?  Otherwise, the 2 SWD interfaces will try to talk simultaneously with Kitprog and this will not work.

I'm not familiar with that module.  Does Vref need to be connected to something?

Just a few suggestions.

Hi @BiBi_1928986

I missed the KitProg mode! Thanks for pointing it out!

@jay_aechh, please let us know if changing the KitProg mode as mentioned helped.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
jay_aechh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @BiBi_1928986 

Yes, I was in CMSIS DAP mode previously. However, after going into debug mode I am still unable to detect the module.

I am using a CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A to program my CYBLE-214015-01 and connecting to pins 2,4,6,8,10 on header J11 on the CY8KIT-042-BLE-A.

jay_aechh_0-1625157210190.png

Yes, my module is running on 3.3V power. May I know where do I find the information regarding the desoldering of D1 to change voltage to 3.3V on my CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A? From what I understand the CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A is already using 3.3V since I've used the appropriate jumper setting (short 1 & 2) as seen below.

jay_aechh_1-1625157991234.png

My current setup:

jay_aechh_2-1625158468138.png

Hmm another thing I don't understand is why is it that I am able to program the PSoC4 BLE module that comes with the kit but not my own CYBLE-214015-01. I assumed the programming method should be the same as long as I connected the required pins: SWDIO, SWDCLK, XRES, VDD and GND.

0 Likes

Hello Jay.

Thank you for providing more information about your setup.  This changes everything!

I assumed you were using a stand-alone Kitprog from KIT-059 or KIT-043.  So, ignore my comment to remove diode D1.

You have connected Kitprog SWD on CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A correctly to your module CYBLE-214015-01.  Please check that SWD wires are not longer than 5cm, at most 10cm.  SWD does not operate reliably with long wires.

Also check if you have 3V-3.3V on CYBLE-214015-01.  When using PsoC Programmer, Kitprog reports the Vtarg voltage and at the moment, CYBLE-214015-01 is not showing any voltage.

Looking at schematic for module that comes with CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, it looks like Vref needs a 1uF capacitor to ground.  Maybe your module CYBLE-214015-01 also needs a 1uF capacitor.

edit: Since you can program the module that came with CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, connect that module to CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A, open PSoC Programmer, and observe if PSoC Programmer reports the Vtarg voltage.  Let us know what you see.

0 Likes

Hi @BiBi_1928986 and @Rakshith 

I've managed to program it already. Seems like my SWDIO and SWDCLK wires were too long. Once I shortened it to about 5cm it worked.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Hello Jay.

Good to hear you got it working.
Good luck with your project.

0 Likes