SPI NAND Flash memory in PSOC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Cosmin_Dobrescu
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello, everybody,

I understand some electronics but I am not an expert and I am trying to incorporate a flash memory into my PSOC 4 (cyble 222014-01).

I need to store data acquired by the ADC built into the PSOC 4 and keep it for a long period of time. According to my estimation a memory of about 1 Gbyte would be enough. Although I am interested in the memory being as big as possible, within the limits of what is possible (max 2-3 Gbytes).

I don't need to connect this memory to any computer. I need to be able to write blocks of bytes and be able to read them. I say this because I have seen a repository of "Jesús Rodríguez" where he adapts a library of "ELM-Chan" called FatFs specially oriented to this kind of devices. Basically it implements a fat file system in memory, which adds a lot more complexity.

Since some people within the forum understand much more about electronics and have more experience I would like to know what ways are there to add a large memory to these SoC's.

My method of investigating the possibilities has been to go to Mouser to find out what types of memory exist. The most promising ones are NAND Flash with SPI interface that can have up to 8 GBits of capacity.Another important aspect is that the read/write speed is not critical, the idea is to write the data as it is produced.I have seen some 2 Gbits memory chips like the W25M02GV, TC58CVG1S3HRAIJ or MT29F2G01ABBGDWB.I have seen that cypress also sells memories, it would be best if it could be integrated in some simple way.

Something similar to what I might be interested in is this cypress AN89659 project, but it is not exactly what I am looking for.There are some libraries for other platforms for NOR FLASH memories like: SpiffsParticleRK​ , SPIMemory ​or for example SerialFlash. But it is clear that this type of memory is used as RAM because they are very fast and expensive.

Although it is not specified for the PSOC 4 I have found the FLogFS library that deals with NAND flash memories.I have thought about starting an arduous task of adaptation (is my field, I am a computer engineer), but I think that before going ahead it is worth asking the Forum for advice.

I am not sure which way to go for the task I have to perform, so I ask the committee of wise men of this Forum: is it possible to perform what I want to do?

On the other hand if FatFs are easier to implement I will go for it. Although I don't see impossible the adaptation of other libraries (if your licenses allow it) I think I'll choose the easiest way.

Regards and thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

As per my understanding, you are looking for a flash memory device with minimum density 8Gbits (1GBytes) to interface with PSoC4 device cyble 222014-01. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

The best choice will be the serial flash memory devices as the need less pins. Unfortunately, we do not have a serial flash memory with density 8Gbits. The maximum density we have is 1Gbit, Serial NOR Flash Memory (cypress.com)​. Is it possible to use a 1Gbit memory in your application? If yes, please check low level driver for our SPI NOR flash devices available at: Low Level Driver for SPI Flash (cypress.com)​. You can use it as a reference to write your application.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

As per my understanding, you are looking for a flash memory device with minimum density 8Gbits (1GBytes) to interface with PSoC4 device cyble 222014-01. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

The best choice will be the serial flash memory devices as the need less pins. Unfortunately, we do not have a serial flash memory with density 8Gbits. The maximum density we have is 1Gbit, Serial NOR Flash Memory (cypress.com)​. Is it possible to use a 1Gbit memory in your application? If yes, please check low level driver for our SPI NOR flash devices available at: Low Level Driver for SPI Flash (cypress.com)​. You can use it as a reference to write your application.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Exactly, I don't need more than 1Gbyte (8Gbit). I also need this memory to be serial to keep the number of connections low.

NOR flash is excellent for using RAM memory as it is very fast. But using them for mass storage is a waste of money. A 1Gbit NOR FLASH is around 8 euros and I don't think it's a good option. In my case it is not necessary to have a high transfer rate. In fact I will write 1Kbyte into the memory every 2 or 3 seconds.

Regards,

Cosmin.

0 Likes