Resolving Random, storing Public

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a client, scanning an unbonded peripheral, is there a method to resolve a random private resolvable address, then to bond, but store the public address of the peripheral in the bonded data?  I'm working with both devices from scratch, and thought, for a method of no in/no out authentication, the peripheral can create an RPA using a key hard-coded in both devices, then, if the RPA scanned by the central is resolvable using said key, the central knows to connect and bond with the peripheral.  After bonding they will disconnect and the peripheral will advertise using the Public address.  Sort of the reverse of the 100 Days Privacy examble.  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi dturney,

The general expectation is that devices bond and exchange keys first before generating and using an RPA. However if you have the IRK hard coded on both sides, you should still be able to resolve the address and then connect. I do not see anything in our BLE stack that prevents this. That being said, we have not implemented any such examples before as it not the general use case. You can try it out and let us know if you face any issues.

-Srinath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi dturney,

The general expectation is that devices bond and exchange keys first before generating and using an RPA. However if you have the IRK hard coded on both sides, you should still be able to resolve the address and then connect. I do not see anything in our BLE stack that prevents this. That being said, we have not implemented any such examples before as it not the general use case. You can try it out and let us know if you face any issues.

-Srinath

0 Likes