Prevent the change of CapSense raw value

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
andycheng
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Hello, further to a question I asked (https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-4-MCU/Reversing-proxmity-sensing/m-p/270896#M39101).  After weeks of testing, I found that the CapSense values are very sensitive to the voltage of the power supply.  At 3.8v the raw value could be 8000, while 3.7v could be 1000 and even lower when approaching 3.6v. 

Since my system runs off a 3.8v battery as the power supply (connected to VDD of CY8C4245 directly). Is there any way to get a stable value from CapSense even the supply voltage drop a little? Like an internal regulator or something?  

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @andycheng 

Unfortunately, there is no way around this. You need to make sure that the supply coming to the VDDA pin of the micro is stable at 3.3V externally. CapSense supports compensating only for 50mV change in VDDA and any higher change will directly affect CapSense operation. 

You need to use a voltage regulator externally to get the supply to a stable range.

Best regards, 
Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @andycheng 

Unfortunately, there is no way around this. You need to make sure that the supply coming to the VDDA pin of the micro is stable at 3.3V externally. CapSense supports compensating only for 50mV change in VDDA and any higher change will directly affect CapSense operation. 

You need to use a voltage regulator externally to get the supply to a stable range.

Best regards, 
Hari

0 Likes
andycheng
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Hi Hari,

Thank you very much for the reply! Now putting in a regulator.

Andy

0 Likes