PSoC4:  Unable to read data from the target device.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a  CY8CKIT-049  PSoC 4 Prototyping Board, programmed via Bootloader.
It has been working fine until now, but for some reason I can no longer program it
via the bootloader host; it gives error message:

Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

I have plugged in the board with button held closed, and the blue LED is flashing,
so it is ready for program load.  The port is listed and selected in the "Ports" panel.

I have also tried the PSoC Programmer.
On launch this finds the correct family (CY8C4xxx) and device (CY8C4245AXI-483),
but the field at botton right shows "Not Connected" and is red.  The main panel says
I should Select Port in the PortList, then try to connect.
But there is nothing listed under Port Selection.

The Help manual suggests setting various things, such as Programming Mode, but all
these options are "grayed out" ie not selectable.

I've had similar problems in recent past, and I think you suggested I upgrade the firmware.
But Upgrade Firmware button is also "grayed out".  The Cypress Update Manager
says No Updates Available.

Between last week, when all was OK, and now, I have not made any updates or changes to
software revisions, so I cannot understand why it no longer works.

The Build is Ok, and the program code that is the device at present works correctly.
As I say, something like this happened in the past, and I recall it took me a long
time with Forum help to get it fixed.  It is very time-consuming and frustrating!

Sorry about the gripe, but can you help again?

Many thanks,   Ken.

0 Likes
15 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

sORRY ABOUT YOUR ISSUE PLEASE TRY THIS FOR FIX THE ISSUE. http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=98796 It will take you to a fix to reprogram the board with the correct information.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for reply.  I have had a look at the info you directed me to.
So it seems that the Bootloader code in my PSoC has been corrupted, and
I need to use another working CY8CKIT-049 to reprogram it.

This is OK; I needed to buy another one or two CY8CKIT-049 boards anyway, and
they are low cost.  I am still waiting for delivery, so have not tried the fix yet.

Meanwhile, I also have a CY8CKIT-042 PSoC4 Pioneer Kit, which has hardware and firware
such that it can be programmed without bootloader.  I am wondering if this can also
be used to program other PSoC4 devices without bootloader, thus allowing quicker
programming without having to buy a MiniProg programmer.  I realise it might not allow
the debug facility.

Any comments?   Many thanks,  Ken.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Have a look at Pavloven's post here.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The replacement CY8CKIT-049 board has now arrived, and straight out of the
box I have plugged it in and attempted to program it with PSoC Programmer.

The result is exactly as with my first board:

On launch it finds the correct family (CY8C4xxx) and device (CY8C4245AXI-483),
but the field at botton right shows "Not Connected" and is red.  The main panel says
I should Select Port in the PortList, then try to connect.
But there is nothing listed under Port Selection.

I have also tried downloading PSoC Programmer software again, and re-installing,
selecting the "Repair" option in the install process.   This makes no difference.

Just to repeat, when I try to program it from PSoC Creator using the Bootloader,
 I get the error message:

The code I'm trying to program is the "Bootloadable Blinking LED" which you supply
 as an example.

By the way, my CY8CKIT-042 PSoC4 Pioneer board can be programmed via PSoC Programmer
and via PSoC Creator with no problems.

So now I really don't know what is wrong, and I'm stuck.

Can you help?   Many thanks,  Ken.

[ Thanks for the link to Pavloven's post -- I have not had time to follow that up yet ]

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I have a windows 7 ultimate computer and have problems programming the devices.  I have uninstalled the software and it helps for one time and then it gives the same error you are seeing.  I then can take the device back to the windows XP and it programs with out issues.  For some reason the comm ports are not working on this windows 7 computer.  It is a strange issue as the other USB devices work on this computer with out error.  You have not said what operating system you are using so I have no way to determine if your issue is the same as mine.  I had some thoughts that it night be the motherboard or the windows 7 operating system. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

I an using a Dell desktop PC running Windows 7, full details:
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit version.
    Revision  6.1.7601,  service pack 1,  build 7601.

I have now tried re-installing PSoC Creator version 3.1, but this makes no difference.

Everything was working fine until about a week ago, and as far as I'm aware I have not
changed anything related to the PC itself or the operating system.  Also the port
I'm using works correctly with other USB devices.  I don't have access to a PC running
windows XP, so can't try that option.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The CY8C-049-43xx boards cannot be programmed using Creator or Programmer except when using a MiniProg3.

Instead, as the documentation says, you have to use the Bootloader Host program which will connect to an emulated com-port the prototypie kit implements. The emulation is part of the windows system, so there might be some OS problems which can be resoved by de-installing all drivers associated with the USB interface. A helpful software is the USBDeview from nirsoft.net which allows as admin to remove the drivers.

When the prototype board is plugged in, a driver will be loaded via internet. When you want to program the board yoiu have to push the on-board swithch while inserting it into the USB-slot

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I have done the deinstall route and it still will not program the devices.  Thanks for the program link will try it and see what is going on on the device or system ops software.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,  Thanks to you both for the replies.

Bob M, you confirm that there might be a problem with windows 7 which might be resolved
by de-installing all drivers associated with the USB interface.  However, Bob G you say you have tried this on your windows 7 computer which has similar problems, and it will still not program the devices.

De-installing USB drivers sounds a bit drastic, but I'll also have a look at the link to nirsoft.net, and think about trying this route.  Perhaps I'll wait to see if you can find anything Bob G, as I have no expertise in OS software.

If here is indeed an OS problem associated with an emulated com-port, then it seems to me that the problem really needs a more effective fix than re-loading the USB driver.  After all, the problem could just re-appear after a time.

Just to confirm, I am trying all programming of the CY8CKIT-049 using Bootloader Host (and to repeat, this worked fine until about a week ago), and always hold the on-board switch while plugging in.

Ken.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I used the usb program you recommened and it is a great tool.  I tried the CY8CKIT-049-42xx and was able to program the device.  I will try it on the PSOC 4 pioneer board and see if that works on the window 7 computer. .  Thanks again for the the nirsoft.net  program it is a great tool that I can use on other projects.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too had a quick try with USBDeview from nirsoft.net, but it did not work for me.  It listed many USB devices, and its possible that I did not disable the right ones.

However, I have gone down another route.  I have hacked my CY8CKIT-042 PSoC4 Pioneer Kit board as in Pavloven's post, so that it can be used to program any PSoC4 device.  This works fine, and has bonus of being much quicker to program.
The mod is trivial, just disconnect the reset signal from the PSoC4 on the board, and actually I think even that is not necessary as long as you don't mind the program in the board's PSoC4 being overwritten.

So I don't need to use the Bootloader, which solves all problems (for the moment!).

Many thanks for the help and advice.   Ken.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a  CY8CKIT-049  PSoC 4 Prototyping Board, programmed via Bootloader.
It has been working fine until now, but for some reason I can no longer program it
via the boot loader host; it gives error message:

I really don't understand what to do? Can someone show me the solution.I have also tried using another chip but the result is same.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Welcome in the forum!

Seemingly something goes amiss in the chain Bootloader Host  <->  USB <-> Bootloader <-> PSoC4 chip. Since you have eliminated the latter two (Bootloader and PSoC4) the problem seems to reside on the PC side. Check the available com-ports with and without the kit plugged-in, use windows device manager to check. 

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just faced this problem on a CYC8KIT-049-4100. Check whether you are setting the baud rate correctly in the bootloader host. That worked for me

0 Likes
ScWi_1017771
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

One issue can be the sequence:

1. Select the correct port in the Bootloader Host (check the baud rate too!)
  2. Unplug and replug the Dev Kit board, resulting in:
    1. The associated COM port disappears, so
    2. Bootloader Host selects a different port, or simply deselects the Dev Kit port
  3. Click "Program".  Bootloader Host now attempts (and fails) to program the PSoC via the wrong port.
0 Likes