PSoC 4 BLE Kit UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BhSr_4843381
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello, 

I have established analog applications and a UART terminal application on my PSoC 5LP kit. 

My next step is to establish the same UART tx_rx on a PSoC 4 MCU and establish a handshaking signal between the 2 kits. 

For some context, I have a CY8CKIT-042-BLE-A kit with the Pioneer Baseboard as well as the CY8C4248BLQI-BL583 add-on kit. 

I have followed the code sequence exactly as in the PSoC 101 UART tutorial, but I am unable to observe the string I am sending on my terminal program (Hercules) at 115200 Baud. 

I am a little unsure what the issue is. Is it probably my selection of the debug target? I have selected CY8C4248LQI-BL583  as my target. Considering this is the add-on board, would choosing the Pioneer baseboard (If yes, what is the component part number in PSoC creator?), solve the problem? Also, in the tutorial video, Alan connects two pins externally - [P12.0 to P1.5 & P12.5 to P1.4]. I have made this connection as well, is this correct? Hope I have given sufficient context and hope to resolve this issue asap. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @BhSr_4843381 ,

1. " Also now, I want to establish a handshaking signal between my PSoC 5LP kit and my PSoC 4 kit. Does this require any external hardware interface if the output voltage levels are the same? "

->  There is no need of any external hardware interface. A direct wire connection is enough.

2. "Do I need to use any level shifters or Pull-up/Pull-down resistors to ensure proper functioning? Please do advise."

-> Pullup resistor is not required in such case. But, you should try connecting grounds of both the boards.

Hope this helps!!

Best Regards,

Aashita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

You should select CY8C4248LQI-BL583 as your device in the PSoC Creator project.

1. In Alan Hawse's tutorial the pins [P12.0 to P1.5 & P12.5 to P1.4] are connected to jumper wires because in that particular kit there is no connection between [P12.0 to P1.5 & P12.5 to P1.4] on the board. in that tutorial in case the user wants to access the onboard Kitprog as the USB-UART bridge, he should connect [P12.0 to P1.5 & P12.5 to P1.4]. Else there is no need to connect those pins.

In your case since you are using CY8CKIT-042-BLE, you do not have to connect the extra wires. These pins are connected to on-board kitprog by default. 

Please refer kit specific UART code examples in the Code examples section of PSoC Creator. There you can find the details in the kit document.

Hope this information helps !

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh, 

This helped, thank you! I was able to establish communication from the serial terminal using an example code. This did not work previously, I'm not sure why. 

Also now, I want to establish a handshaking signal between my PSoC 5LP kit and my PSoC 4 kit. Does this require any external hardware interface if the output voltage levels are the same? 

In the UART_SCB component datasheet, it said something on the lines of requiring a pullup resistor for the UART_Tx pin to preserve the initial state. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
BhSr_4843381
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello, 

Regarding the UART communication between the two boards: 

- I noticed that the output UART voltage on my PSoC 4 board is 3.3v, so I switched the on-board jumper on the Pioneer kit to change it to 5V. 

- Now, my voltage at the Pioneer Tx is 4.5V and Rx is 4.1V. This is ~500mV lower than the voltage on the PSoC 5LP board, in which the UART component is at 4.98V. 

Do I need to use any level shifters or Pull-up/Pull-down resistors to ensure proper functioning? Please do advise.

0 Likes

Hi @BhSr_4843381 ,

1. " Also now, I want to establish a handshaking signal between my PSoC 5LP kit and my PSoC 4 kit. Does this require any external hardware interface if the output voltage levels are the same? "

->  There is no need of any external hardware interface. A direct wire connection is enough.

2. "Do I need to use any level shifters or Pull-up/Pull-down resistors to ensure proper functioning? Please do advise."

-> Pullup resistor is not required in such case. But, you should try connecting grounds of both the boards.

Hope this helps!!

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes