PSOC4 SPI Master RX interrupt problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chwa_1570756
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hello,

I use SPI as master and enable the interrupt of RX FIFO not empty, the code and setting are listed below.

In slave end, I did not write any data to slave FIFO buffer and even I physically terminate SPI connection.

My problem is why once excuting the line of SPIM_SpiUartPutArray(TxBuff,5), the system always enter into

Master_ISR.

Chris

void Master_ISR()

{

SPIM_SpiUartClearRxBuffer();  

SPIM_ClearRxInterruptSource(SPIM_INTR_RX_NOT_EMPTY);  

}

int main(void)

{

uint8 TxBuff[5] = {1,2,3,4,5};

SPIM_Start();

SPIM_SetCustomInterruptHandler(*Master_ISR);

CyGlobalIntEnable;

for(;;)

{

SPIM_SpiUartPutArray(TxBuff,5);

}

}

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Chris,

This is expected behavior only. In case of SPI the Master doesn't wait for acknowledgement from the slave to transfer or receive data.

Upon Master write, the master simply enables the Slave select line and sends the data( drives MOSI) and reads MISO. When there is no slave, the master will read the data as 00 on the MISO. The developer has to do implement mechanism to avoid this issue.

What should be done is the slave should send the command packet and the master should read it properly in order to make the communication valid.

You can go through PSoC Creator code examples SPI_Master_interrupt01 for the implementation of above logic.

Hope this helps !

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

In case of SPI communication depends only on Master. For every data element transfered by SPI Master through TX FIFO it will expect a data element in the RX FIFO.

When there is no data in the TxFIFO of slave and Master write into MOSI the TxFIFO of slave underflows and the SPI masters reads the data as 00 on the MISO line.

Since the Master doesn't know about the slave and tries to write into MOSI it reads MISO as 00. Therefore you are seeing the interrupt. You can try reading the data on the RXFIFO of master and check once.

Hope this helps !

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Hi Ganesh,

Your answers confirmed part of my guess and I have read all 0x00 from RXFIFO.

But when I try to remove the slave hardware, in my view, it should terminate the whole data shift loop,

why did it still trigger the RX interrupt when perform the code?

whether I can understand it will enter into interrupt unconditionally while writing data though MOSI line?

Best regards.

Chris

0 Likes

Hi Chris,

This is expected behavior only. In case of SPI the Master doesn't wait for acknowledgement from the slave to transfer or receive data.

Upon Master write, the master simply enables the Slave select line and sends the data( drives MOSI) and reads MISO. When there is no slave, the master will read the data as 00 on the MISO. The developer has to do implement mechanism to avoid this issue.

What should be done is the slave should send the command packet and the master should read it properly in order to make the communication valid.

You can go through PSoC Creator code examples SPI_Master_interrupt01 for the implementation of above logic.

Hope this helps !

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

chwa_1570756
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks, I got it.

Chris

0 Likes