Miniprog3 won't do reset programming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaHo_350141
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted First solution authored

I have PSoC Creator 4.2 and PSoC Programmer 3.28.4 installed on 64-bit Windows 10  running an Intel E8600 with 8GB RAM.  I've been using the Miniprog3/A since early days and it used to work great.  Now if I open a project using CY8CKit-049-42XX, go Tools:Options:Program/Debug:Port Configuration:Miniprog3 and select SWD, 5-Pin, 5V, 1.6MHz, and power cycle, the device will eventually be recognized after numerous attempts in the Debug:Select Debug_Target menu.  If I power the kit externally and attempt to acquire with reset it is never recognized.  Using Kitprog that comes with the kit board recognizes and acquires the device correctly.

Before upgrading the firmware in my Miniprog3/A I was able to go back to Windows XP and Creator 4.0 and the Miniprog3 worked perfectly.  With the latest Miniprog3 firmware that no longer works.

Is Miniprog3 broken forever or is there something I'm missing?  I've removed and reinstalled both PSoC Programmer and PSoC Creator, and Update Manager says I'm up to date, and the latest Miniprog firmware is installed via PSoC Programmer.  I have the same problem with both the A and C versions.

0 Likes
15 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

Can you please share the screenshot of PSoC Programmer showing the error/issue.

Thanks,

Ankita

0 Likes

Miniprog3/C is working as expected on an unpowered board today with my laptop, but I get this screen when attempting to attach to a powered target.

Screen1.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,

Can you please share a Screenshot of PSoC programmer with the error  when you used MiniProg3 to program the kit.

Please check whether MiniProg3 is used to supply power to target when you are externally powering the target.

If yes, then please disable the power supply from MiniProg3 when you supply power externally to kit. When Miniprog3 is not supplying power to board (i.e you are supplying power to the board externally), don't chose Power cycle mode of programming.

0 Likes

See posted screenshot in community

On Wed, August 14,

0 Likes

Sorry, but I meant PSoC Programmer 3.28.4 screenshot, you have given previously PSoC Creator screenshot

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

See screen shot attached

On Wed, August 14, 2019 4:24 am,

0 Likes
WaHo_350141
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted First solution authored

In addition, KitProg will not recognize the powered board from PSoC Programmer, but works fine with the same board from PSoC Creator.  Both KitProg and MiniProg3 work fine with PSoC Programmer unless the target is powered externally.

0 Likes

Hi.

According to screen shot, MiniProg3 is trying to program a PSoC 5LP.

Change the family/device to PSoC 4200, CY8C4245AXI-483 (if that's the device you're trying to program on KIT-049-42xx).

BTW, there was no attachment Aug 14.  Hence the slight confusion for us (or at least, not as a part of this thread).

When you mention "Kitprog", are you referring to the USB-UART (bridge) programmer that comes attached to KIT-049-42xx?

Bill

0 Likes

The target for the screen shot was selected correctly, and the result was as shown. Neither 5LP or 4200 will program with external power and PSoC Programmer. There are multiple configurations and targets that don’t work.

The KitProg programmer that comes with KIT-049-4200 works with externally powered targets with PSoC Creator but not with PSoC Programmer. I can test any combinations you like.

>

0 Likes

Please let me confirm some points.

1. You said "The KitProg programmer that comes with KIT-049-4200" but the CY8CKIT-049-42xx does not come with KitProg.  The small board attached to the CY8CKIT-049-42xx is a USB-UART converter.  Please confirm if you are using the CY8CKIT-049-42xx.

_20190816_081838.JPG

2. When the target device is detected by the MiniProg3, the Silicon ID and Cypress ID are recognized by MiniProg3 as follows.

GS004435.png

Can you see these IDs?

3. Please enable AutoDetection on the PSoC Programmer.

GS004436.png

After turning ON the AutoDetection, please click "CheckSum" button and make the PSoC Programmer to recognize the attached target device.  Is the target device recognized?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

1.  I incorrectly stated the source of the KitProg unit. 

It is a snapoff board that came with CY8CKIT-059.

Using PSoC Creator 4.2, when I select the Select Debug Target after

attaching the MiniProg3/C to a USB port it takes about eight seconds for

the dialog screen to appear.  Port Setup is also slow to

appear.  I am using a CY8CKIT-049-42xx for this test. I select 5V,

SWD, Reset Acquire, and OK.  I then attach the MiniProg3 to the

board.  I see the blue LED flash 3 times in rapaid succession, and

continuously repeat.  The target is never recognized. 

Finally I change to Power Cycle acquire, and after a dozen attempts the

board is finally correctly identified.  I then acquire the board, and

after several attempts it competes.  When I attempt to debug the

board is programmed, but then I get the error dialog telling me the

debugger exited unexpectedly during run.

I get another scenario

if I first go into Tools/Options and configure the MiniProg3 for reset

programming, and connect it to the target board before I connect it to

USB.  I then select the menu Debug/Select Debug Target.  In this

case the board is immediately recognized, and acquires correctly. 

But again, when I try to debug, the debugger exits.

Using PSoC Programmer and CY8CKIT-049-42xx powered from the MiniProg3

everything works correctly.  I select 5V external power, reset

acquire, auto detect, turn power on, and checksum.  The device is

immediately recognized and the checksum is shown.

I am unable

to use external power with MiniProg3.  I tested with CY8CKIT-050 and

a CY8C5868LTI-LP039.  In neither case was the MiniProg3 able to

acquire the target.  Per the release notes, I attached the MiniProg3

to the target before connecting USB.  The attached screen shot shows

the CY8C5868LTI-LP039 working with KitProg and failing to acquire

with MiniProg3/C.

After much testing and downgrading and

upgrading PSoC Programmer (I went all the way back to 3.23.1), it seems

the problem is most likely the firmware upgrade in the MiniProg3.  I

was able to go back to my old Windows XP environment and have that work

until I upgraded the MiniProg3 firmware.  Is it possible for me to

reprogram the MiniProg3 with earlier firmware?

On Thu, August

0 Likes

I found some problem in your screen shot.

If you are using external power supply please "Power Off" by clicking the "Toggle Power" button.  And select the 5.0V Voltage at the "Programmer Characteristics" Group.

The MiniProg3 does not have a firmware in the dongle.  There is a bootloader program only and the application firmware is automatically downloaded when the MiniProg3 is attached to the PC.  It is enough to use an old version of PSoC Programmer to downgrade the MiniProg3 firmware.

0 Likes

Power is not applied from the MiniProg3 as shown in the screen shot. 

The target power LED is off, the detected voltage is correctly shown as

5V.  When the MiniProg3 is first connected to the externally powered

target and then connected to USB it comes up showing 3.3V as the selected

voltage and the actual target voltage of 5V.  I changed the selected

voltage to 5V and requested the checksum with the same result.

One additional item that might be useful:  After attempting the

checksum with the MiniProg3, the KitProg board is unable to acquire the

target until power is cycled on the target.  Apparently MiniProg3

somehow locks up the target processor that reset can't recover.

0 Likes

"Using PSoC Creator 4.2, when I select the Select Debug Target after attaching the MiniProg3/C to a USB port it takes about eight seconds for

the dialog screen to appear.  Port Setup is also slow to appear."

Yeah, I too faced this issue and forgot to mention in my case. All dialog boxes in Select Debug Target took lot of time to come up and accept any clicks for changing settings.

But in my case simple downgrading of PSoC programmer software solved issues and seems it does not work in your case.

Let know if you get a solution.

0 Likes
AmB_1394316
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Last month I updated PSoc Programmer (earlier version before update is 3.23.0.2140) is  through update services but not the PSoC Creator. Creator version is 4.0 Update 1 (4.0.0.432). I use Intel Core i7-4510U CPU with 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I faced somewhat similar issue after update. I didn't restarted PC on day of update so I guess all worked on that day. On next day (PC gets power cycled) the device (CY8C5468AXI-LP106) won't get connected from PSoC creator at all. I tried changing MiniProgs, even tried many boards but could not connect. I don't remember connection from PSoC Programmer since I was into debugging.

Lastly after spending more than half of my day on the issue, I uninstalled MiniProg drivers from PC Device Manager then uninstalled the PSoC Programmer software and reinstalled the older version of programmer software mentioned above.

Everything went fine and working as earlier. I think some incompatibility was created after update and is somewhat similar to my issue since you mention that your set up works on Windows XP having other version of Creator.

May be this helps.

Regards,

Amar

0 Likes