MiniProg4 Power Toggle not able to program Cy8C4013, Can program with reset as power

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
camc_4842596
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

I am able to program the Cy8C4013 that does not have a reset pin by using the reset pin to toggle power causing POR. I am using the MiniProg 4 which supports this feature by toggling vtarg to cause the POR for programming. However, this does not work, and the PSoC cannot be aquired.

I can see the target power LED turning on and off trying to cause the POR, but something in the timing seems to be off here since the PSoC cannot be aquired.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

I haven't found any info from Cypress that gives electrical spec's on Miniprog interface pins, otherthan Vtarg.  So, it would be safe to assume Miniprog XRES output signal has at least similar characteristics as a PSoC 5LP GPIO digital output.  Output current HI-level of 4mA, output current LO-level of 8mA.

If you look at the weblink I provided, I reference an article on using XRES to toggle the target Vdd and using a 74HC14 chip to boost XRES output current.  By using 74AC14, you could get over 50mA current.

Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without XRES pin

You might want to read through this article to see a few other issues uncovered.

I don't know if Cypress will issue a software update to MiniProg4 to fix this issue.  They've stated the problem in their 'release notes' (also referenced in first weblink).  Kitprog3 and Kitprog2 also have same issue.

I'm glad you've got 4013 successfully programmed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello camc.

Yes, you are not alone with this problem.  So far Cypress has no comment on this issue.  However, you have found the method that is able to work and it's the method we're all using.

See this discussion for similar issue.

CY8C4014SXI-420 only able to succesfully progra... | Cypress Developer Community

Weblink discussion is linked to using alternate SWD pin functions for GPIO purposes.  I suspect this is also your situation.

So, you're doing nothing wrong.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Yes that has been my solution to be able to program the 8 pin device. Is there documentation on what the current output capabilities of the reset signal on the KitProg4 is? Can there be a firmware patch for the KitProg4 to allow for proper programming using the power toggle feature?

0 Likes

Hello.

I haven't found any info from Cypress that gives electrical spec's on Miniprog interface pins, otherthan Vtarg.  So, it would be safe to assume Miniprog XRES output signal has at least similar characteristics as a PSoC 5LP GPIO digital output.  Output current HI-level of 4mA, output current LO-level of 8mA.

If you look at the weblink I provided, I reference an article on using XRES to toggle the target Vdd and using a 74HC14 chip to boost XRES output current.  By using 74AC14, you could get over 50mA current.

Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without XRES pin

You might want to read through this article to see a few other issues uncovered.

I don't know if Cypress will issue a software update to MiniProg4 to fix this issue.  They've stated the problem in their 'release notes' (also referenced in first weblink).  Kitprog3 and Kitprog2 also have same issue.

I'm glad you've got 4013 successfully programmed.

0 Likes