Max BLE bandwidth to Android

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on max throughput from PSoC BLE to and Android device...

I am using the CY8CKIT-042-BLE Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) Pioneer Kit to send data to/from a Android device (HTC One M8 with ^60 Marshmallow).  I'm am basing my test off of the 100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day024_Throughput example.

My throughput has been in the ~60-70kbps range.  This includes when using an MTU=512, and setting the connection interval to 7.5ms (from the Android default of 48.75ms - not sure that the interval is actually changed, but I can see it being set via BTSNOOP).

When using the Day024_Throughput example alone, I do get a throughput of ~260kbps from PSoC baseboard to PRoC dongle, as suggested in the PDF.

My questions:

Are there any examples out there (from PSoC to Android) that achieve something closer to 260kbps?  From the PSoC to PRoC example, it's clear that this is an achievable BLE rate, and that Android is the bottleneck.  Can Android Cysmart show throughput of a charateristic?

Thanks!

Brian

0 Likes
1 Solution
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi Brian,

When using the Day024_Throughput example alone, I do get a throughput of ~260kbps from PSoC baseboard to PRoC dongle, as suggested in the PDF. You will get this if Central and peripheral is CyBLE device. In this case, you can set the MTU size in Central as well.

But in the other case, when Central is an Android phone. The MTU size will be limited as per phones. Generally the MTU size for Androids are limited to 23. This is why you are not able to see a higher throughput .

Thanks & Regards,

Hima

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi Brian,

When using the Day024_Throughput example alone, I do get a throughput of ~260kbps from PSoC baseboard to PRoC dongle, as suggested in the PDF. You will get this if Central and peripheral is CyBLE device. In this case, you can set the MTU size in Central as well.

But in the other case, when Central is an Android phone. The MTU size will be limited as per phones. Generally the MTU size for Androids are limited to 23. This is why you are not able to see a higher throughput .

Thanks & Regards,

Hima

0 Likes